seg. swap VS. 4l80e relay mod

cleansss20

My tuner wants me to do the relay mod for the 80e swap. He said that he did them both in his camaro and he prefers the 80e relay mod. I just want to know the benefits or what you think I should do. He can do either but instead of doing the segement swap, he recommended doing the relay mod.

If he is using hptuners either will work fine. The stock 60e tuning is very nice and works better for dd your truck. However, with hpt, I believe you can't change the gear ratios in the stock 60 file. With Efilive you can do both. But in Efilive you won't have a few extra tcc parameter which leads to your tcc unlocking when letting off the throttle at hwy speeds

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Honestly if your tuner wants you to do that in my opinion that is just lazy. Just wire the trans the way GM built it to be and change the calibration to an 80E calibration. Most of the people I've helped that have done that relay mod have ended up with problems down the road from it. Not everyone has of course, but more than should be for sure. On the other hand those who do the stock style wiring with a correct calibration don't have to worry about that problem.

HPT has been adding gear ratio's in there now, but it is not available yet in all of the OS's to be changed. The ability to keep the tcc locked when off the throttle is in there in most all of them now. I'm not saying that it won't work, just that it doesn't seem worth the difference in effort to not do it as it would have came from the factory. I do agree with Reynaldo that it'll work though.

I talked to him about it. He said that when he did his 80e swap in his camaro that he didnt like how hpt would unlock when letting off the throttle but that was a couple years ago. I told him that they have fixed that now. I really want zippy to tune my truck but dont know how i would get a data log to you..

I talked to him about it. He said that when he did his 80e swap in his camaro that he didnt like how hpt would unlock when letting off the throttle but that was a couple years ago. I told him that they have fixed that now. I really want zippy to tune my truck but dont know how i would get a data log to you..

You can buy hp tuners or if someone local has the software then have them log it and send it off to zippy.