Grinding noise

I just had to change my hub, drivers side front, they tend to go

I need to change my hub on drivers side as well. the mechanic wants 1,049$ to change out the hub that costs around 150. My question is when I rip it apart is it tough being that it is awd? im going to tackle it but im worried I get it all torn apart and I need some special tool.

I need to change my hub on drivers side as well. the mechanic wants 1,049$ to change out the hub that costs around 150. My question is when I rip it apart is it tough being that it is awd? im going to tackle it but im worried I get it all torn apart and I need some special tool.

Don't pay that for a hub change. I have not actually done the job myself but have read that almost anyone should be able to handle it in their driveway.

Yeah, that sounds like a crazy price. The only "specialty tool" that I can remember is a large socket to get the nut for the CV axle. It's somewhere in the range of 33mm's. It's basically the large nut on the outside and 3 bolts on the back side to remove the hub. Now corrosion between the hub and the spindle can fight the removal.

The hubs are easy to change, you just need to spray some penetrating lube where the hub meets the spindle. Make sure to have it aligned after.

I bet the reason the price is so high is the mechanic is buying a GM hub assembly, those sell for a little over $600. That price is way to high. It wont cost another $400 to install. I would avoid this mechanic like the plague. A normal hub replacement if you brought the part is about $80 in labor.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Yeah thanks. I think im going to do it tomorrow. Ive only had my SS for a year now. I bought it lowered and my shocks are leaking and its hitting the rubber stops making for a rough ride. I figure I can deal with that for the time being but when I accelerate about 5 - 10 miles an hour I hear a growl and I know there is a little play in the cv axle I was told its the bearing in the hub assembley. I love the truck but now im having a few problems. its got 113,000 on it and I know things need replaced. I had my water pump replaced and they said I needed a new clutch fan as well. So now when I start my truck the fan seems really loud and when I accelerate it gets really loud like its blowing a lot of air. idk if this is normal or not but super annoying. frusterating