Should I ditch my painted bed cover?

90zxdriver

Right now my truck has a bed rug with a cheaper (Century) painted fiberglass bed cover. I don't like it and even though the truck is a SS, not being able to utilize it as a truck is annoying. Also, the clear is starting to fail on the bed cover, as is most of the truck... damn Florida sun! I'm about to take the plunge and ditch the bed cover and bed rug, get the truck Line-x'd and buy a hard tri-fold flush mount cover. Problem is, the bed cover has messed up my bed rails pretty good over the years from rubbing so I think I would have to put on some plastic bed rail caps to hide the damage. Hopefully somebody has a picture of a VR SS with one of these flush mouth covers they can post up or pictures of a VR SS with Line-X. The Line-X website even said they can color match now. That's kinda cool.

Or, maybe just trade the SS on a CPO Sierra Denali :uhoh:

You can also do a over the rail sprayin bed liner. I know some guys dont care for over the rail. but it will hide the scratched paint on top of the bed rails and also protect the bed rails if you ever hit it with something your putting in your box. When I bought my truck it already had a over the rail spray-in bed liner. I wasnt crazy about it at first but I feel it has saved me a few time.s I dont haul a lot of stuff in my bed/ But from time to time I do.

If I were you I wouldn't do the color matched bed liner. they fade over time and look bad. the sun dyes the color out of the bed liner. I installed sprayin for a few years. the color matching looks good for a few years then the would start to fade. unless the truck never sits in the sun.

Heres a picture of my over the rail spray in bed liner. it has saved me a few times. IMG_0263.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Thanks for posting pictures. I put in a quote request for the Line-X. My truck has (I'm guessing)the bedrug in it since day 1 because there is zero damage to the paint underneath. Seems almost like a shame to Line-X over it. I was considering the red Line-X because I would have a toneau cover on it 99% of the time. I'l have to consider the over the rail spray like you guys posted but I think I will have to go a bit further down because the fiberglass cover really did a number on the rails. I was looking at rail covers like these that covered the corners a little further down. That is where the majority of the damage is.

http://www.autoanything.com/bed-caps-rails/73A6477A0A0.aspx.

Thanks for posting pictures. I put in a quote request for the Line-X. My truck has (I'm guessing)the bedrug in it since day 1 because there is zero damage to the paint underneath. Seems almost like a shame to Line-X over it. I was considering the red Line-X because I would have a toneau cover on it 99% of the time. I'l have to consider the over the rail spray like you guys posted but I think I will have to go a bit further down because the fiberglass cover really did a number on the rails. I was looking at rail covers like these that covered the corners a little further down. That is where the majority of the damage is.

http://www.autoanything.com/bed-caps-rails/73A6477A0A0.aspx.

The link you posted above doesn't work. but if you need the bed caps to go down farther I bought a set of bush wackers once and they cover some scratchs on a truck I had. I got the smoothback ones they were nice. bedcaps_175.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)