newbie here

fast4popper

hey guys and gals, I have to say that I am new here. I know i will get some flack for this post but I have to do it. I am a Dodge fan, I have a 00 Durango R/T and it is time for it to go. here is my question. are there anythings I should look for when I go to buy an ss? I am looking at an 04 with 7000 miles and I want to make sure I am spending my money right, also can you guys tell me any cons of buying this sweet ride? thanks for the help and please keep the comments nice! -C- :P

First of all, welcome....

Second, let us know what the person/dealer is asking for the truck. There are sill several brand new SS's on dealers lots that can be purchased at really good prices. I have had my 04 now for about 4-5 months. I have had no problems with my truck, and most guys here will tell you the same. The only common problem that you will hear about is the tailgate cables, but the new stainless steel ones are starting to appear (there are several other threads about this, so take a look at those). The best thing you can do if you are unsure is to look around this site. There is a LOT of useful info about this truck. All I can say is that I really love my truck, and can tell you that it gets a lot more looks than a Dakota R/T! :D

First off thanks for the welcome, the dealer has the 04 for 36000 on the lot, they will give it to me for 31000. it has just under 7000 miles on it.

extreemly clean. also what is this that I hear about a "slapping motor?"

thanks again for the help!

First of all, welcome....

Second, let us know what the person/dealer is asking for the truck.  There are sill several brand new SS's on dealers lots that can be purchased at really good prices.  I have had my 04 now for about 4-5 months.  I have had no problems with my truck, and most guys here will tell you the same.  The only common problem that you will hear about is the tailgate cables, but the new stainless steel ones are starting to appear (there are several other threads about this, so take a look at those).  The best thing you can do if you are unsure is to look around this site.  There is a LOT of useful info about this truck.  All I can say is that I really love my truck, and can tell you that it gets a lot more looks than a Dakota R/T!  :D

Well, while the these trucks do have a list price in the lower 40's, I still think that a used SS with 7k miles on it sounds a little high. I would try and work them down on the price. I only say that because there are some new ones on dealers lots that can be purchased in the 31k price range! Do some serious checking before taking the used one at that price, and check around for some leftover 04 new ones! Hope this helps!

Rob

what is this that I hear about a "slapping motor?"

thanks again for the help!

You tell me. I have had a 2003 and a 2004 and now going on my third and I have not heard anything about a slapping Engine!!

All mostly have the front end growl though. See the trans section to hear all about that.

JOSH

I think there were some issues a few years ago with the 5.3 and the Escalade 6.0 with piston slap.

I think the General was blaming it on 'carbon buildup'. :confused:

Haven't heard of anything lately.

I had an '01, '02, and now the SS, never any slap.

You should be able to get the price of a used '04 28-29K.

Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide :thumbs:

WW :cool:

I drove it off the lot tonight! Man I loved My Durango R/T but I do have to say it is NOT HALF the truck this is. I got it for 30K. A little high yes, but I was upside down in the Durango and they got me out of it. (thank god)

second question, what should I do for mods? Hypertech? K and N? Exhaust? what is the best bang for the buck?

thanks and I look forward to years with you guys!

I've run through lots of GM trucks and never heard any "piston slappin" and the SS is a mint truck. Hope you pick up an SS, they are a lot of fun even in winter  :chevy:

Archived