My truck is ready to landspeed race in three weeks

Two or three months ago I told here in the forum of my disappointment back in Sept. when I landspeed raced my 03 SSS on the Ohio Mile and even though I had around 75 more HP than I did in April of last year. The truck left hard and ran better than it ever has but it was 5 MPH slower than April and around 7 to 9 MPH slower than I expected it to be. The only thing I noticed was when the truck made the 1 to 2nd. shift it dropped 2,000 RPM'S and never recovered. I thought it but when I asked here everyone said torque Convertor.

I had Edge Performance Convertors in Calfornia build a custom Convertor after I gave them the specs on the cam and a list of all the performance modifications that had been performed. My transmission man installed the Convertor, a shift kit and use a synthetic fluid to fill it back up. Andre the owner of Edge Convertors assured me that when the up shifts were made that it should not lose but around 500-600 RPM but in testing it three times at wide open throttle the most I lost was 200 RPM. It didn't jerk or snap it just immediately shifted to the next gear as smooth as glass.

Thanks for suggestions that it was probably the Convertor and if there isn't a really bad headwind I should comeback with landspeed records by breaking records I had already set.

Your new converter only drops 200 rpm on your shift? Wow. Does it only do that at wot or does it do that all the time? I've never heard of a shift drop of 200rpm. I'm sure it is for your application, but wow!

Just driving around town other than getting use to having to use more RPM to get rolling you notice no difference in the up shifts and I haven't noticed how many RPM it drops but it doesn't build pressure or jerk you neck when it shifts.

At WOT it almost immediately goes into the next gear. The transmission guy put a shift kit in it and said to tell my tuner that he would firm up the shifts internally because if you tried to increase the firmness in the tuneup it would build up line pressure.

Makes it sound like you know what the hell you are talking about when you keep all of the notes! But it does work and that is all I am interested in.

I will post my results when I get back on May 6TH.

I set my first of the six landspeed I own in 2010 on the Maxton Mile Eight months after getting out off a wheelchair which my Doctors told my Wife I would never get any betters, I now walk with the use of a walking stick because of Parkinson's Desease and Rheumatoid Artritis and Lupus!

Normal rpm drop for even a top quality converter is 1200rpm or just over especially with the big gearing gap with the 65E trans. You will lose alot of mph if the converter is too loose. On the other hand I'm not sure if I am reading this right or not. If I am reading this right it sounds like you don't race very far because a shift into second at 4000 rpm not only shouldn't bog the motor, but should have plenty of distance to recover. Normally land speed runs go well into third and fourth gear so maybe it is just how I'm reading it. What you should have been concerned with isn't the stall converter is the tuning. An LQ9 that can't pull it's way out of 4000rpm has something wrong with it. Even with a mild cam it should be right near torque peak and have no problem with it.

On a side note, congrats big time in what you are doing and have accomplished. You have picked the right vehicle to race like that. Plenty of metal around you and AWD to keep you safe.

You misunderstood, we run a measured standing mile with a mile to stop. The truck was programmed to shift at 6200 RPMs and it dropped to 4000 RPMs. I have ran it on a section of county road where there is no traffic during the day. And there is almost 2 1/2 miles of straight road with no intersecting roads. I have made three runs there backing off after the shift into third gear. We changed the shift points to 5800 RPM and a shift kit was installed when the converter was installed. There is basically no noticeable drop from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3, no snapping of your next just an institanios shift. The Convertor is programmed to go into lockup at WOT in 3rd gear at 5,000 I think, I can't remember what the final decision was between the engineer at Extreme Convertors, my Transmission guy and the tuner who all had a phone conveyance. And I promise there was only around a 200 RPM drop, it reminded me of the shifts in a fast 37 Chevy Drag truck I had last year with a built turbo 350 transmission which you could not see any noticeable drop in RPMS when it shifted.