Tailgate wont open :(

kpcustoms

I tired to open my tailgate and it wont open. I looked at it and where the handle connects to the cables one of the little plastic pieces is missing and the cable isnt attached anymore. How do you fix this i cant find a way to get in there. I loosened the 3 bolts that hold the handle thing on and I still cant get to it. I have a Rhino linner in it too if that makes a difference.

Yiu have to pull that handle bezel off. Those 3 bolts hold the handle assembly in. Dont really need to mess with those. If just one sode is broke, lift the handle like you are opening normally. While doing that grab the loose rod and pull it towards the center and it will pop the other latch

The handle bezel is tricky to get off whitout breaking the clips, i used double sided tape to attach it back on and it hasnt moved. The clips that attach to the latch can be found at any auto parts store.

Edited by NTMD8R_SS (see edit history)

loosen the 3 bolts behind the tail gate, but DO NOT REMOVE THEM. once their loose, the bezel can be removed. the clips can be found in any parts store for cheep under $3.00. when i did mine i replaced both clips, and used some white lithium spray on the clips, and latch. if you remove the 3 bolts completely, there are spacers behind the latch that can/will fall to the bottom of your tail gate, then you'll need to try and fish them out...i know.. :banghead:

good luck