Anyone have Train horns or similar?

Blown 346

I first thought about this 2 years ago, and cant keep from wanting them more and more. I have access to a True Grover 1510 Fire truck air horn from my Fire Department from a rig that is no longer in use.

I want to pull the trigger on a compressor and tank but dont want to spend $500. Ive been looking at the Viair compressor and 1.5 gallon holding tank.

Here are my questions for those of you who have had them, or installed them.

I want to mount them in my bed, but refuse to drill holes to mount the compressor and air tank. I wont mount them under the truck as Im anal as can be and like to keep my stuff in new condition. Im so bad with the OCD that i even Clay and wax my garage air compressor. lol.

How can I mount these without drilling holes in my bed so they stay in place? My only idea was to use a very strong loop double sided velcro that will stick to the bed??

Where did you mount the horns? I will only have one, I would like to go under the hood to keep it away from the elements, or somewhere close.

What do you suggest I use for the air tubing other than whats in the kit, I wont use the flimsy stuff. I want to go with a 3/4 inch line for the best air flow rate.

Any pics would be great as well.

I helped a buddy install a train horn on his F-250. He drilled the frame for the air horn mounting bracket. For the compressor he bought a constant duty, twin compressor Viair system. We removed the bed and were able to install everything above the spare tire bracket and under the bed. The compressors and tank is completely hidden from view.

Great thread, caught my attention. I never thought of keeping it in the bed which away from the elements which I really like. I will try to use a K5La horn from retiring single level commuter cab coaches (if I can I get to them).

Im only going to mount the compressor and air tank in the bed. The actual horn will be near the engine bay somewhere. The Grover 1510 is about 18 inches long, finding a place where its hidden and wont interfere with anything, and stay out of the elements is the other issue.

You not wanting to drill holes really limits your options. I have a roll n lock bedcover and I mounted my 5 gallon tank and viair compressor under the bed cover box. You could mount the compressor and tank to metal plates then use strong magnets glued to the plates. However your going to run a lot of excess hose and wire to an already existing hole in the bed.

I understand you wanting to keep it clean but my 3 Nathan Airchime horns hang under my truck and are constantly exposed to dirt rain ect., if debris does get in them it blows it right out. And I wish now I would have mounted everything under the truck to save bed space because I have never had to do any maintenance to the setup.

Also a tip to when you get to installing mount your air valve as close to the horn as you can and don't go cheapo on the valve. That way you can have the reaction you want out of the horn.

Also hurry up for your sake, it's the best accessory you will ever install!!

I have my air tank under my bed in the spare tire area, didnt drill any holes just had to make some brackets to hold it. But I was just lucky enough the tank was made almost to fit there perfectly, dont think all tanks are the same though. And well I ran the air line all across the frame to the front where my horns are located, right behind the bumper grille

• 4 weeks later...

Check out my pictures in my gallery. I have a hornblasters train horn. I moved my tank and compressor to the bed under my tonneau now though. It's not behind my seat anymore; bad decision on my part. I basically mounted my horns to angle iron and welded it from one side of my frame to the other. The horns can individually unbolt too.