MAF Honeycomb FIlter

Hey guys. I was checking my air filter last night and I noticed a honeycomb looking filter before the MAF. I assume its for straitening the air flow to the MAF sensor. It looks like some CFM could be gained by removing it. Has anyone tried this? Should it be done? I tried searching for this but I was unable to find anything on it.

Thanks everyone.

The MAF was designed to work with it in for stabilization to get a better reading. I honestly don't think it would gain anything at all being removed plus a possibility of issues. Doesn't sound like something worthwhile IMO. Is your truck tuned? If so, maybe ask your tuner their opinion...

The MAF was designed to work with it in for stabilization to get a better reading. I honestly don't think it would gain anything at all being removed plus a possibility of issues. Doesn't sound like something worthwhile IMO. Is your truck tuned? If so, maybe ask your tuner their opinion...

I figured as much. Thank you for your input. No its not tuned yet, I just bought it last Wednesday. Currently im looking into headers but theres soo much info. I just want to know how much power they make and what brand to buy. Ya know?

I pulled mine out in 2007 and have never had a problem.

And you were right its to help keep air flow straght thru the MAF sensor I have a AEM brute force cai that gos straght to the intake so i dont really need it but the stock piping has a piece that drops down between the engine and radiator in between the MAF and intake so that maybe the reason that they used that screen in stock form

I knocked mine out in 2005. It won't hurt anything at all. All vehicles I've had got knocked out as soon as I got them. I don't think it really pics up any power but you won't loose any. I don't know it straightens air out I'd say it's more of a small filter. None the less mines been gone for years.

Edited by JC03SS (see edit history)

I figured as much. Thank you for your input. No its not tuned yet, I just bought it last Wednesday. Currently im looking into headers but theres soo much info. I just want to know how much power they make and what brand to buy. Ya know?

Header choice will be determined by budget restraint's (ARH reportedly almost install themselves, { :jester: }, and according to some with a lot more experience than I have, are worth every penny but about $1500), and whether or not you need stainless steel or can get by with painted steel.

That depends on what part of the country you live in and whether or not they will see road salt. Lots of guys are happy with OBX which is pretty much the opposite of the ARH as far as budget goes.

Don't even think about short tubes. The word is that the OEM headers are good enough that short tubes = no HP gain, or at least not enough to justify the $$.

My advise is gather up parts for several mods and order a tune for all those mods before you install them. When you get the new tune install the mods.

A tune on a stock truck is arguably the biggest bang for your mod $ that you will find and most any mod will not give it's full potential without tweeking the tune for it.

Header choice will be determined by budget restraint's (ARH reportedly almost install themselves, { :jester: }, and according to some with a lot more experience than I have, are worth every penny but about $1500), and whether or not you need stainless steel or can get by with painted steel.

That depends on what part of the country you live in and whether or not they will see road salt. Lots of guys are happy with OBX which is pretty much the opposite of the ARH as far as budget goes.

Don't even think about short tubes. The word is that the OEM headers are good enough that short tubes = no HP gain, or at least not enough to justify the $$.

My advise is gather up parts for several mods and order a tune for all those mods before you install them. When you get the new tune install the mods.

A tune on a stock truck is arguably the biggest bang for your mod $ that you will find and most any mod will not give it's full potential without tweeking the tune for it.

Awesome, thank you. Being in the midwest im leaning towards stainless. I was able to find Dynatec but i cant find ARH. Are they on Summit racing and im just missing it? What numbers are guys seeing with the headers alone/ with a tune? Is there a certain brand of High Flow cat I need to be looking at?

Thanks Johnny

I knocked mine out in 2005. It won't hurt anything at all. All vehicles I've had got knocked out as soon as I got them. I don't think it really pics up any power but you won't loose any. I don't know it straightens air out I'd say it's more of a small filter. None the less mines been gone for years.

I knocked mine out of my 2002 GTP and it never hurt anything I may have even gained a little being it was supercharged. I did'nt think it would make a difference but i wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks JC0355

Mines been out for 3 yrs with no probs either!

Can it be removed? It looks like its part of the MAF assembly. I don't see any rings holding it in either.

I took mine off the other day, I remember taking it off in my F-body. I also remember talk about it being an issue with tuning, how that that is, idk.
As far taking it off, it shouldn't take but a few seconds, just disassemble the maf, then take a flat head screwdriver and push it towards that screen out ward, itll start to bend and just do it again at aother spot and you should be able to just yank it out. Just make sure you don't touch the 3 senors of the MAF or your gonna have a problem.

I took mine off the other day, I remember taking it off in my F-body. I also remember talk about it being an issue with tuning, how that that is, idk.

As far taking it off, it shouldn't take but a few seconds, just disassemble the maf, then take a flat head screwdriver and push it towards that screen out ward, itll start to bend and just do it again at aother spot and you should be able to just yank it out. Just make sure you don't touch the 3 senors of the MAF or your gonna have a problem.

I attempted pressing it out with my fingers the other day but it seems to be pretty well in there. I didn't see the small ring to remove like in my GTP. I didn't want to hurt anything so I left it in

Edited by Normandy (see edit history)