First TIme To The Track

Normandy

So I raced again tonight. 14.8@ 90.29mph. 2.16 60'. There were some changes though: first i had a full tank of 91( last time i had a quarter tank of 93) and it was 85 degrees( I think it was closer to 70 when I made the 14.9 run last time). I think if I can repeat the same variables first time I raced, I should be able to pull off a 14.7. Does anyone know how many miles it takes for the truck to "learn" its new airflow with the Volant?

Edited by Normandy (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, When you guys race, do you run the tailgate up or down? Mirrors in? What about the tow/haul mode, should that be used for racing? I've been debating if that would make a difference.

Thanks

Using tow/haul mode can be beneficial at the track if you have the shift points bumped up in that part of the table.

I don't just yet. but i am getting tuned by BB (whenever they get me the scan cable). Im curious if they'll program that in?

I've used tailgate down or off. Not a significant difference IMO.

None? Not in 1/4 time or speed? I kind of figured that over 75mph there would start to be some serious drag with the gate up. :ohmy:

Here is something I saw on mythbusters It had to do with gas mileage and tailgates. I would assume the best gas mileage would also = the best at the track.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/mythbusters/15-favorite-mythbusters-car-myths-7#slide-7

Sooo according to that article, having the tailgate up was better for mpg but it says they later re-tried the test and the mesh worked better. :confused::confused:

if I recall correctly they didn't have the mesh in the first test. Once they tried the mesh, then it was the best.

Honestly I you'd be better off working on getting good 60' time than paying any attention to your tailgate up or down

Edited by poopnewton (see edit history)

Tailgate really don't matter at all. If your shaving weight yeah pull it the spare tire, and back seat. Still not gonna pic up enough in my op for all the work you gotta do unless your putting on some lite wheels and tires.