Need a fast trans removal answer!

Merc Dr.

Can't remember the bolt question. But there's one at the very top of the bell housing that's a total bitch to get at. I pulled the intake manifold to do it but you'll need the specialty fuel line disconnect too (a couple bucks at a local auto parts store) or you can use a really long extension. Are you removing the Trans lines from the rad too or just the Trans? If just the Trans unscrew them, those clips can be a pita to take out. Do NOT unscrew the ends for the Trans lines on the rad though or you'll have a world of trouble.

How many bolts hold the trans to the motor? 7 or 9?

How do I remove the tranny cooler lines? Do I need a special tool?

I believe there are 8 bolts. There are 9 holes in the bell housing, but the upper right bell housing bolt (when looking from underneath the trans) doesn't exist. The hole exists in the bell housing, but our blocks aren't tapped for it. Also the fasteners up top are actually studs, because they also act as engine grounds and they also hold the fuel line bracket. I would use a combination of extensions and wobbly sockets. And like said above, the upper-most bolt can be a pain in the ass... Last resort. remove the intake to access this bolt.

And the lines pop right out of the transmission. Theres a special tool for these clips, but a pick will work just fine. Pick out the little clips, and the line pulls straight out. Just don't lose the clips. This is very easy to do as they tend to go flying when removed.

I believe there are 8 bolts. There are 9 holes in the bell housing, but the upper right bell housing bolt (when looking from underneath the trans) doesn't exist. The hole exists in the bell housing, but our blocks aren't tapped for it. Also the fasteners up top are actually studs, because they also act as engine grounds and they also hold the fuel line bracket. I would use a combination of extensions and wobbly sockets. And like said above, the upper-most bolt can be a pain in the ass... Last resort. remove the intake to access this bolt.

And the lines pop right out of the transmission. Theres a special tool for these clips, but a pick will work just fine. Pick out the little clips, and the line pulls straight out. Just don't lose the clips. This is very easy to do as they tend to go flying when removed.

This helped a lot. But I found the middle one wasn't as bad as the upper driver side bolt. I used a swivel head ratchet with a deep well socket.

I found it fairly easy to get at the cooler lines once I had the transfer case and crossmember out of the way. I dropped the tail of the trans down and was able to stick my head in the hole that the transfer case left to see what I was doing.

This helped a lot. But I found the middle one wasn't as bad as the upper driver side bolt. I used a swivel head ratchet with a deep well socket.

I found it fairly easy to get at the cooler lines once I had the transfer case and crossmember out of the way. I dropped the tail of the trans down and was able to stick my head in the hole that the transfer case left to see what I was doing.

Thanks for the info. Did you get to all the bolts from under the truck?

I have read that you have to be careful reinstalling those cooler lines, (That it can be difficult to be sure that the clips are secure).

The way I have always gotten that too bell housing bolt out is I leave it for the last thing to do. Then you lower the trans down about 4 inches, you use a very long extension with a universal and I reach up from behind the tranny(Since you have to remove the tcase when pulling trans) and remove the bolt.