Rotary or DA Polisher?

Hi everyone, I picked up my SS about a year ago and have a couple of posts on the site to which you guys have helped me out with a lot. Getting straight to it, my bumper and grille have a lot of paint defects from bugs sitting on the bumper and grille from previous owners. I was going to actually remove them, sand them down and paint them. Well of course to get the ultra smooth finish I need to color sand and buff. That's where my issue lies. I'm not sure whether to get a rotary polisher or a dual-action. I know a rotary is more aggressive which would be great against sanding marks, but I do like the safety that a dual-action offers, but I'm afraid it will not be able to be aggressive enough to be effective against color sanding. And I don't want to spend hours on one section of the bumper a day just for the safety when a rotary would be able to get it done much faster. I feel like I would be careful enough with a rotary not to burn through the paint, but I wanted your guys intake on this. Just remember, it will be used to polish color sanding, not just average detailing. Thanks in advance guys!

Can you post up some pictures so we can see how bad it is?

My old SS was pretty rough after a spent a few years going through automatic car washes and I did not wash it myself. I used a DA polisher (Porter Cable 7424XP) and it came out great. I use nothing but Adams products.

Unless you know how to use a rotary polisher very very very well I would recommend you go with a DA. It is way to easy to screw something up with a Rotary. True a rotary will work a better on sanding marks, but you can also screw it up a lot worse.

I think its also very important which polish you use to fix the damage. Like I said I use nothing but Adams products, and their 2 step polish process (formally a 3 step) works miracles.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-957-adams-paint-correcting-paint-finishing-polish-combo.aspx

They also sell cutting pads that will help out

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-954-adams-7-orange-microfiber-cutting-pad.aspx

Those pads will work with poth a Porter Cable or a Flex Polisher, but adams also sells a new cyclo polisher that is suppose to be awesome

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-966-adams-starter-cyclo-polisher-kit.aspx

I was able to fix some pretty heavy damage with a PC and Adam's 3-step polishing process (now a 2-step)

Before:

IMG_1575.jpg

After:

IMG_1605.jpg

Well there isn't any damage per say, because I have yet to repaint the bumper (also plan on repainting tailgate on down the road). I was just curious on what I should get to get out sanding marks. Specifically 2000 grit or 4000 grit sanding marks.

Edited by aerosys (see edit history)

I am also trying to figure out what to use. I have a rotary and a DA buffer. I have very little time on my rotary buffer and its true, it is very easy to mess up. Thats why I went with a DA for my SS. And digger that looks way better than before. thats pretty much what I am trying to fix. A ton of little spider web looking scratches.