paint job advise needed [pics]

So I've been around for quite some time, but have only managed to accumulate a massive 8 posts. I guess you'd call me a lurker... so thanks for all the info over the years, and I apologize for not giving back to the community.

Anyway, I've got a paint question. My original 2003 Onyx Black paint job looks awful, and it pains me to see it that way. The clear coat on the hood is coming off, and the roof (which has had repair around the 3rd brake light) is bubbling once again.

I stopped by a local paint shop asked what it would take to get the deep black factory look it used to have. The quote came in at approx $4300. It breaks down ~33 hrs of body work (~1k), ~60 hrs paint (~2k), and 1.3k in materials. I believe the plan is to take everything off the truck, paint metal, refinish the cladding, and put everything back on.

For those of you who have experience in this area, does this seem to be on the mark? To be honest, I expected something in the $2500-$3000 range.

For what it is worth, it is pretty embarrassing for me to share these pictures.

post-2635-0-83641500-1405119397_thumb.jpg

post-2635-0-86031400-1405119413_thumb.jpg

post-2635-0-53410900-1405119437_thumb.jpg

post-2635-0-25785400-1405119788_thumb.jpg

Te properly re paint the entire truck that price is way low. I was quoted 8K since i was curious. For example, I had my camaro totally re painted and paid $5K and it looks like glass and is perfect. Its all on the shop you go to and how well they prep. Ask around about the shop, and go other places and get quotes.

With any body work, you get what you pay for honestly. Before you do it, tell them you want to look at some freshly painted cars. Check all the edges to look for runs, feel the paint to pick up bubbles or rough spots... Do your footwork and it'll save you.

I am in a similar situation. My bed is rusting in the wheel well. I was quoted $4500 to do the metal work and paint entire truck. I thought it was high at first but like they already said it depends on who is doing the work and how good a job they do. They just finished another SS the week before with the same issue and they did a great job.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I've done some research and asked around. The paint shop is well respected, and provide a lifetime guaranty on their work (as long as it stays in the family).

I guess I have a bit of sticker shock, having never painted a vehicle before.

Out of curiosity, anyone know how much people pay for fancy flame jobs?

I have had two price quotes to paint my truck and there is zero rust and no real dents. Just a few door dings and some surface scratches. I have a new bumper cover now, roll pan and want to have the tailgate shaved.

The first quote was around 6500 and the second was at 7500. And granted this is in Alaska also. But your quote averages a shop rate of around 33 per hour. That is extremely cheap. As long as they stand by their work. Do it! Good luck!

That is a great price but the quality of the materials are a concern. Quality paint and prep materials aren't cheap. The majority of body shops will use the economy line of paints, primers, sealers and clears. The heart of the paint is the prep, but a quality paint system will last and as you know from the hood and roof that can cost another few grand down the road.

Price will also vary depending on the line of paint and clear used... some shops maybe cheap but you maybe getting lower quality products used... Top tier shops will generally use top tier products. Top tier products will be warrantied by the paint company as long as it was applied correctly by certified painters.

Edited by SweetSS24 (see edit history)

I've asked around a good bit, and checked out a previous paint job. Seems like a square deal, and I'm going to go for it.

It's going to be a few weeks before it's done, hopefully I'll be back on with some better pics.

Thanks to all for helping with the decision. The only down side to the fresh paint is it takes $ away from the "go fast" upgrades.

I've asked around a good bit, and checked out a previous paint job. Seems like a square deal, and I'm going to go for it.

It's going to be a few weeks before it's done, hopefully I'll be back on with some better pics.

Thanks to all for helping with the decision. The only down side to the fresh paint is it takes $ away from the "go fast" upgrades.

Follow up when she gets finished. I would like to see some "after" pictures. :pop: