Engine wont turn over by hand after head gasket install

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something is obviously wrong here. You must have had to rotate the motor over to install the rocker arms correctly... Or did you just shotgun the rockers on and hope for the best? Lol. Like said above, remove the rocker arms and spark plugs if theyre not already out. Then rotate the motor by hand. I guarantee itll rotate unless there is a tool/rags/etc in the combustion chamber... Ill get you the proper procedure for installing rocker arms and just take your time this time around and do it correctly.

Didnt shotgun it.. I had the rockers on loosely and was rotating to get the #1 cyl. to TDC per the instructions I found on lst. Thats when it rotated a bit but stopped. I am going to try to get to it tonight possibly. if not tomorrow for sure. Are the MLS head gaskets reusable? or should I order some new ones if I have to take the heads off again? thanks for the input guys!

Edited by wantaSSS (see edit history)

I wouldn't reuse head gaskets... But if you're on a tight budget, you might get lucky enough to get away with it... I would install the rockers one at a time. Something is binding, and my money is on the valvetrain. All you did was pull and reinstall the heads?

Thats what I have done before without issues. No harm done unless like I stated something isnt right.

Well, even if the starter did have more torque than you could produce with your hand, if it wont turn over by hand, something is terribly wrong. Especially if hes using a breaker bar.. If something is binding, last thing you wanna do is force it to turn over. Lol. Im sure its a simple fix. just get in there and figure it out!

The gasket ( if it is a MLS) can be reused. If the gasket has the rubber coating still on it your good to go. I would spray some copper seal on them for good measure, but the crush part of the gasket won't be an issue. Do replace the head bolts if they are factory torque to yield type bolts though. And be sure the head gaskets are installed correctly.

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

alright everyone I pulled the drivers side head and now I can rotate it around completely seems like a little bit of a lump at the bottom of the piston stroke should just be the rod rotating back around. No items in cylinders or lifter area. but other than that seems free to spin around. Going to order one matching gasket. What do you all think? Oh I forgot to add I have arp head bolts so they just paid for themselves.

Did you try to rotate the crank after removing the valve train but before removing the head? Your comment about resistance to turning, (The "lump at the bottom of piston stroke") doesn't sound good to me. Is the other head and valve assembly still complete? Did you actually find what was locking the motor up? Don't put it back together again before finding the cause of the lock up.

It's a mechanical devise. There is a mechanical reason why the motor wouldn't rotate. You need to know for certain what that reason was before putting it back together again..

Good luck.

I rotated it after pulling all rockers and push rods and it still would not turn over I pulled the drivers side head and then the motor would rotate I did not see anything that would hinder the ability for the motor to rotate I'm kind of stumped as to why it happened in the first place . Not Sure what that means. Should the motor rotate pretty easily with all valve train out abd plugs out ? Does it make sense about at the bottom of any piston stroke it takes some (nothing crazy) pressure to get it to turnover ?

Maybe you just weren't strong enough to rotate the engine over? :lol:

I mean, it must have been fine before right? Because to install the valvetrain you'd install the exhaust rocker, rotate engine, install intake rocker, etc etc. I don't know what to tell ya. Just put the head on and give it hell.

Alright ... back to report in... ON Saturday I pulled the other head. The motor turns freely. no "lumps" or hitches in the movement. I stood back and started thinking why this could happen. Nothing was in the motor but when I put the head gaskets on it "locked" up. I started looking at part numbers when I realized the head gasket set sent to me by summit was for a regular silverado ie 4.8/5.3 engine. When I called summit originally to ask what was in the kit then order it they never asked me what engine size. So part my fault for not double checking. So to sum it up head gaskets for a 4.8/5.3 do not work on a 6.0 :huh::uhoh: . I called summit and explained what must of happened and they said they would send out new ones since it was part their fault. :thumbsup: I was surprised. thanked them a bunch. So now I am waiting to get head gaskets so I can get this thing back together. Hopefully you guys dont bash me too bad. I know I should been more careful in inspecting the parts themselves and learned a lesson here. Thanks again all for the replies.