Engine wont turn over by hand after head gasket install

Alright everyone. Long story short... hopefully. I am going turbo on my truck and the infamous bolt in the head was broken. This lead to pulling the head. I pulled both because I was thinking of going L92s but didnt. Put the heads back after getting broken bolt out. Have the spark plugs out and rockers all loose and the motor will only turn over about 1/4 turn? know some guys dont like it but am using a breaker bar/socket on the crank bolt. I turned it clockwise (looking from front end) and it went a little and stopped. turned it counter clockwise and it stopped about the same distance. I went back clockwise and it stopped again same distance about 1/4 turn. I tryed to budge it by giving it a little more and wont move past the stopping point. Is it possible rust set in that fast? I lubed the cylinder walls with wd in between. Hopefully no rust. If I pull the heads again will I need new gaskets again?(obviously never been ran/heated up) thanks for your time everyone.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm idk man ive turned the motor before but never been below the pistons i can tell you will need new head gaskets. Try spraying the cylinder walls with carb cleaner and wipe them down but i doubt its anything there its probably something else man whats the history on the motor?

since I have owned it the engine has never been open. I would think that even if there was a tool inside it works rotate more thana quarter turn. I agree in the rust.. no evidence of rust as far as I could see when I reassembled .

why would it be rusted? did you have water close or some get in the motor??? it would take a lot of water to rust it where it wouldn't turn over. it has to be something else. did you have the motor running before this tear down? you sure noting was left in one of the cylinders???? how long did you have the heads off the motor?

Pull all your plugs, try to rotate again. Take rockers off, rotate again, pushrods out, rotate again. More sure all your pushrods are sitting correctly and seated in the rocker arms correctly. You either lost a tool, something isn't lined up, or lost a tool. If all you did was pull the heads to yank the broken bolt and put fresh gaskets, install error. It's ok we all made plenty of mistakes. Just go back and triple check everything. Then have your buddy triple check everything.

Ill take the rockers off and pushrods out and try again and get back to you all. I had the heads off for about 2 weeks. I dried all coolant out of cylinders and then sprayed them down with wd 40 to make sure no rust happened. The heads are completely drained so no coolant got into cylinders when remounted. Plugs were out when trying to rotate. I am now thinking maybe a pushrod out of place. Motor was running perfectly before tear down.

Edited by wantaSSS (see edit history)

If everything is bolted back together and the push rods are seated the right way, pull the fuel pump relay and dis connect the coil packs. Try to crank it over by tapping the ignition. put a paint mark on the balancer or pulley and look to see if it moved. If it did your golden. If you do have to pull the heads get the steel reusable gaskets for the heads.

Are you sure you didn't leave a rag or two in the cylinder? I have seen that done and have the same problem.

You can put about 300lbft of torque to the bolt but if it takes that much to rotate it over then you have a problem for sure.

Try and put the truck in 3rd gear, block the wheels about 2ft before and after the wheels. Have you and a buddy roll the truck to the blocks. Make sure you have a reference on the dampener like tape to see if and how much it moves going forward. If the truck won't budge just take the heads off and inspect everything. If you find nothing after removing the heads try to turn the short block over. If it rotates put it back together and see again. I am wondering if a lifter is stuck in the tray and wedging the cam.

Because the starter has more torque than your hands do. going to tight on the crank bolt can damage it if you over tighten.

:icon_bs:

If everything is bolted back together and the push rods are seated the right way, pull the fuel pump relay and dis connect the coil packs. Try to crank it over by tapping the ignition. put a paint mark on the balancer or pulley and look to see if it moved. If it did your golden. If you do have to pull the heads get the steel reusable gaskets for the heads.

Lots of incorrect information here....

Something is obviously wrong here. You must have had to rotate the motor over to install the rocker arms correctly... Or did you just shotgun the rockers on and hope for the best? Lol. Like said above, remove the rocker arms and spark plugs if theyre not already out. Then rotate the motor by hand. I guarantee itll rotate unless there is a tool/rags/etc in the combustion chamber... Ill get you the proper procedure for installing rocker arms and just take your time this time around and do it correctly.