Header Brand Preferences

Normandy

I agree on using High Flow cats. I have had my set on my camaro for over 10 years without either failing. Yes they might coast a little more If i remember. But do it once and be done, instead of twice when you could have saved not only money on having to buy another set, but the hassle of having them welded back in.

Thats what I was thinking. I wonder if theres any difference in the cats between ARH and the ones I found on Summit?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those arent bad but I would look on Craigslist for some used High Flow Cats. Kooks, Magnaflow, & many others can be found on there just do a search.

Hey Micheal besides what you have mentioned what else is done to your truck?

03 Silverado ss awd all that's done to my truck is a k&n cai , arh 1 3/4 catted long tubes (catted from arh ) and a corsa sport cat back that's all that's done

my best tyime was 14.6@93 I have the time slip ill post all the times 60' etc

still has to be tuned after the circle d 3200 stall and Im gonna do a corvette servo and electric fan conversion and a 160 slp stat

Edited by Mcinalli123 (see edit history)

I managed to find a dyno of the Stainless Works headed on SuperChevy here http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/0505htp-325ci-lm7-stainless-works-headers-catback-install/ . Its not very impressive. These don't look to be much different than Kooks or ARH, so where do people get off claiming 15-25hp from theirs??

Well if you actually look at the chart it says with the headers, cats & exhaust it gained somewhere around 17.5HP & 17.1TQ at the rear tires on a 5.3L so with our trucks being a 6.0L it moves more air which makes more power so I would assume at least 12-15HP & 12-15TQ at the rear tires. Thats with the headers and a good cat back like the corsa or a custom dual setup.

Well if you actually look at the chart it says with the headers, cats & exhaust it gained somewhere around 17.5HP & 17.1TQ at the rear tires on a 5.3L so with our trucks being a 6.0L it moves more air which makes more power so I would assume at least 12-15HP & 12-15TQ at the rear tires. Thats with the headers and a good cat back like the corsa or a custom dual setup.

Right, but the guy installed an entire new exhaust system and achieved the 17 hp or so. From what Ive read that should be what we get from the headers alone, unless im mistaken.

Yes I know they made about 9.8 with the headers on a 5.3L but with our 6.0L 10-15HP with just the headers alone with it being tuned for them which is the key there. The truck has to be tuned for the headers if not you will not see as much HQ/TQ increase.

Yes I know they made about 9.8 with the headers on a 5.3L but with our 6.0L 10-15HP with just the headers alone with it being tuned for them which is the key there. The truck has to be tuned for the headers if not you will not see as much HQ/TQ increase.

Isn't the 5.3 and 6.0 the same basic motor ( from what Ive read anyway)? Is there enough difference between them to warrant that much more power?

No the LM7/5.3L and the LQ9/6.0L motors are different. Both have cast iron blocks, aluminum heads & a the same stroke (3.622). The LM7 which is what they used in the article has a 3.780 bore, they have a 9.5-1 compression ratio & are rated at 295HP/335TQ. The LQ9 has a 4.000 bore, a 10.0-1 compression ratio & are rated at 345HP/380TQ. The LQ9 will make more power over the LM7 with Longtube headers and a more free flowing exhaust setup. Which is why I"m 100% that with a good sized header with at least a 1 3/4" primary & a 2.5/3" collecter that the LQ9 in our trucks would make around 10-15 RWHP.

No the LM7/5.3L and the LQ9/6.0L motors are different. Both have cast iron blocks, aluminum heads & a the same stroke (3.622). The LM7 which is what they used in the article has a 3.780 bore, they have a 9.5-1 compression ratio & are rated at 295HP/335TQ. The LQ9 has a 4.000 bore, a 10.0-1 compression ratio & are rated at 345HP/380TQ. The LQ9 will make more power over the LM7 with Longtube headers and a more free flowing exhaust setup. Which is why I"m 100% that with a good sized header with at least a 1 3/4" primary & a 2.5/3" collecter that the LQ9 in our trucks would make around 10-15 RWHP.

So just to clarify. There still the same motor, just that one is bored out and has higher compression, correct? Any difference in cams, TB or heads?

Thanks

No they are different engines. Read what I wrote or google them. They have the same STYLE block, heads & stroke. Other then that I don't know the difference in the heads, TB & cams. But I'm sure they have the same stamped heads and TB. As for the cams there probably is a difference. Like you said they do have a different compression ratio.

• 3 weeks later...

There was an article in some mag a few years ago where the dyno tested a brand new LQ9 from GM. It had dynatech longtubes I believe. Any ways the engine stock, need 355hp at the fly wheel. They then added dynatech longtubes and a tune, the power output jumped to over 400hp at the fly wheel.

prolly a tune on the ragged edge. its really hard to say with how certain people tune. a dyno is a tuning tool. you cant pay attention to gaining this or gaining that. Especially when it comes to headers. I ran the 3/4 and the 7/8 on my truck. if they match with your entire setup, i like to refer to it as "use-able" power, then you will benefit across the board by making your setup more efficient. if you run a small converter, small cam, stock heads, then they are clearly not beneficial for you as your usuable power will be lost while you might have marginal gains on the big end. But you toss the bigger primaries on a motor shoving much more air into it, you will see more gains. Also as well as the guys with bigger stalls, and bigger cams, as your usable power is going to be in the upper rpm range, so it doesnt matter if you lose some low end because your not relying on this as your motor is built to be more efficient up top. ill have a set of 7/8" off here in a week if anyone is looking to upgrade.