Not Happy

Normandy

Hey guys. I finally got back to the track tonight after getting my Black Bear tune and I ran a 14.6@ 92 with a 1/4 tank of 93 oct. That was also using the T/H button with the 93 tune. Without the T/H button pressed I ran a 14.7 @91. Prior to the tune I ran a 14.8 @ 90 with a full tank of 91 oct. From everything I've read about the gains from a BB tune this seems to be off a few tenths. Please tell me somethings wrong here.. :mad:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I finally got back to the track tonight after getting my Black Bear tune and I ran a 14.6@ 92 with a 1/4 tank of 93 oct. That was also using the T/H button with the 93 tune. Without the T/H button pressed I ran a 14.7 @91. Prior to the tune I ran a 14.8 @ 90 with a full tank of 91 oct. From everything I've read about the gains from a BB tune this seems to be off a few tenths. Please tell me somethings wrong here.. :mad:

If you ran at the same track, you need to consider the air temperature and humidity as well because this will drastically affect your times too. Mine ran a 14.2 w/ headers, stall and Zippy tune at an altitude of around 1100' and air temp. was around 60 degs. if I remember correctly.

Don't be disappointed you really don't have any mods. Just a Cai and intake. Those times aren't bad. Slap a good exhaust on with some long tube headers. You will find a few tenths. Wait till it's around 60 or so at the track an you will also pick up.

Density altitude. If u live in a high altitude state it will drastically effect ur times.

Were only around 1300 elevation here.

If you ran at the same track, you need to consider the air temperature and humidity as well because this will drastically affect your times too. Mine ran a 14.2 w/ headers, stall and Zippy tune at an altitude of around 1100' and air temp. was around 60 degs. if I remember correctly.

It was 78 degrees last night when I ran. When I ran the 14.8 last time it was 80-85 and it was more humid.( We had quite a bit of rain that week, none this week) So temps were better and i was lighter with better fuel. I never did see this "night and day" difference with the tune. I hoped it was just in my head.

Don't be disappointed you really don't have any mods. Just a Cai and intake. Those times aren't bad. Slap a good exhaust on with some long tube headers. You will find a few tenths. Wait till it's around 60 or so at the track an you will also pick up.

Besides headers I do have a good exhaust. Dual 2.5's to flowmasters ( i didn't install them) According to the 2 mph gain I gained about 15whp from the tune. Even Justin said I should gain 15-30hp with my mods. While technically true, its the lowest possible gain. Maybe I expected too much due to all the positive reviews I found, though I never found anyone that said they only had a .2 gain....

Edited by Normandy (see edit history)

well I hate to say it cuz I have flows also, but most people will tell you that is not a good exhaust setup since most say that flows are too restrictive.

I agree, I'm looking to pick up a Magnaflow here pretty soon. That being said, I cant see flowmasters adding a tenth to my time.

Besides headers I do have a good exhaust. Dual 2.5's to flowmasters ( i didn't install them) According to the 2 mph gain I gained about 15whp from the tune. Even Justin said I should gain 15-30hp with my mods. While technically true, its the lowest possible gain. Maybe I expected too much due to all the positive reviews I found, though I never found anyone that said they only had a .2 gain....

Headers make the biggest difference (compared to a cat back set up). Honestly a 14.6 is decent for your mods if you had a DA of 1100'

Headers make the biggest difference (compared to a cat back set up). Honestly a 14.6 is decent for your mods if you had a DA of 1100'

Well I think theres still more power left to tune. I read up on a few more BB dynos. I'm seeing several 30hp gains on 6.0's with a cat back and CAI. Headers are the bigger "bang for the buck"? I thought it was kind of a toss up between tune or headers. Do you have Lt's on your SS, if so what where your et's before /after?

Thanks

Well I think theres still more power left to tune. I read up on a few more BB dynos. I'm seeing several 30hp gains on 6.0's with a cat back and CAI. Headers are the bigger "bang for the buck"? I thought it was kind of a toss up between tune or headers. Do you have Lt's on your SS, if so what where your et's before /after?

Thanks

I ran a 14.6 @93 with k&n cai, arh long tubes , Corsa sport exhaust no tune

I just added a circle d 3200 stall haven't ran it yet

Drop the flowcrappers and put a good muffler. Put some good long tubes and send tune back for a retune. If he didn't knock most of you TQ management out have him do that in my OP.

This is also true. Everyone's truck is basically the same but where you run it and what kind of weather you have is diffrent which effects your times.

I agree with everyone else on headers being one of the biggest gains. I honestly think I felt a bigger difference with the header install than the cam install. could be that the headers where done after the cam and the cam needed those headers to breath, but it was a very large improvement.

Edited by dieseltech320 (see edit history)