Not Happy

Normandy

So your not sure if the PCM that was in there was already tuned. Getting a core charge doesn't mean it wasn't, a different tune can be put on it, with the old one wiped out.

What was the DA of the track when you ran your first timing that your comparing your new times to? Are 60' and mph almost identical to the new times?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black bear uses Efi live right? Did you use that auto cal? I think your truck is running spot on (ET wise) for an AWD truck, considering it's only an intake and tune really. If you were expecting more then .5 improvement I think that's too much, that would put you in the low 14s.

I'd maybe look into rather or not your stock PCM was already tuned.

And if it was then that would explain it. If other then a big reduction in ET is what's missing and you have good drivability why mess with it?

So your not sure if the PCM that was in there was already tuned. Getting a core charge doesn't mean it wasn't, a different tune can be put on it, with the old one wiped out.

What was the DA of the track when you ran your first timing that your comparing your new times to? Are 60' and mph almost identical to the new times?

The DA was the same, just a small temp difference ( 83 before vs 78 last Friday) not to mention I was lighter this time ( Full tank of 91 vs 1/4 tank of 93). If I had same 1/4 tank of 93 and temps when I ran the 14.8 I likely could have pulled off a 14.7, thus making my gain .1 on the 93 tune. Somethings not right

Black bear uses Efi live right? Did you use that auto cal? I think your truck is running spot on (ET wise) for an AWD truck, considering it's only an intake and tune really. If you were expecting more then .5 improvement I think that's too much, that would put you in the low 14s.

I'd maybe look into rather or not your stock PCM was already tuned.

And if it was then that would explain it. If other then a big reduction in ET is what's missing and you have good drivability why mess with it?

I really can't now, Its already been sent back to BB. I doubt it was tuned previously, especially since my 1/4 times before were basically what these trucks run mostly stock ( as I've been told by others on the forum). Surely Justin would have noticed a tune when I sent the scans in.

Edited by Normandy (see edit history)

Go on drag times and look up your track by date to find the temps and humidity. It's not just the temp that will change the DA.

60's are the same on both passes? Mph?

My 60' before was 2.166, mph was 90.29. Fridays 60' was 2.165, mph was 92.14

I ran in the 15's stock, I may even have a 16 second time slip lol. And that's with an AEM intake and same Flowmaster super 10's/single chambers you have, with both bigger wheels and then stocks.

Bigger than the stock 20's? Holy crap, do you have any pictures of them?

Ok, so the question is what did you run post tune?

While I was hoping to get around a .5 reduction in time, I was realistically expecting .3

So 60's are nearly identical, and the 2 mph gain is definitely a plus. My guess would be your stock PCM was tuned.

Justin emailed me back, Here's a little of what he said "As for the gains, the only thing that I could see would be the fact that your truck had slightly more timing than expected with the stock tune. This was due to the intake causing the MAF sensor to read 6-7% lower than expected for your engine. 6-7% less airflow results in slightly more ignition timing and timing is what makes power. Post tune it is reading slightly more air than expected, so we could probably pick up a hair more power out of it by tweaking that back".

I just asked him in the reply if he could determine if my old PCM was tuned at all. I'll keep you posted.

I never made any passes stock. As soon as I got it I put headers Cai and exhaust. Same mods with tune when it went 9.4 in the 1/8 now my best has been 8.53 with a 1.81 60ft at 80mph in the 1/8.