Not Happy

Normandy

Drop the flowcrappers and put a good muffler. Put some good long tubes and send tune back for a retune. If he didn't knock most of you TQ management out have him do that in my OP.

This is also true. Everyone's truck is basically the same but where you run it and what kind of weather you have is diffrent which effects your times.

I'll email Justin and ask how much TQ management he took out. Do you really think the flowmasters hold the truck back that much? By the way I need to correct something, the DA of the track is 1450 not 1100 as I previously stated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a lot of DA. I can't say they will cost you a lot of time on the track. What I will say is I believe a better flowing muffler at wot is better. At the track I ran .2 tents slower with my exhaust closed. With my cutouts open I picked up .2 this is in the 1/8 also. I tried changing air filters also. Had a Amsoil air filter and volant power core. Both were almost identical in times.

That's a lot of DA. I can't say they will cost you a lot of time on the track. What I will say is I believe a better flowing muffler at wot is better. At the track I ran .2 tents slower with my exhaust closed. With my cutouts open I picked up .2 this is in the 1/8 also. I tried changing air filters also. Had a Amsoil air filter and volant power core. Both were almost identical in times.

Did you have the stock headers and exhaust at that time? I also have the volant power core. So far no issues.

I agree with everyone else on headers being one of the biggest gains. I honestly think I felt a bigger difference with the header install than the cam install. could be that the headers where done after the cam and the cam needed those headers to breath, but it was a very large improvement.

I would think better heads would make more use of headers than a cam would, am i correct in saying that?

I don't think you really have much mods to start with, the 80mm TB I'd say is just as good as the stock 78mm. Those flowmasters I had on my truck when I bought it, I was gonna use them for another project. But idk that they're a straight though design. I'd dump the 2 mufflers and get a straight through muffler and if you wanted to benefit from a TB then get a tbss intake and 87/90mm TB. Headers and converter will be worth a decent amount of ET if that's what your looking for, over .5 seconds.

When I ran my truck at a 14.2, mods where stall, same Flowmaster exhaust as you, and AEM intake all on 22" wheels keep in mind I'm RWD so that's playing with tht throttle off the line. Added LT's, and only a tbss with stock 78mm TB and ran a best of 13.5. This is without having the truck tuned, yet. That was with good da, lately da has changed with the season and it's ran nearly the same for have a 2k+ difference in DA, but I've also added some mods that should drop another .1, probably haven't seen that improvement because of the da, my 60's are also getting worse so that changes the outcome of the 1/4 times.

Keep in mind there are always variables when you compare your own results with anyone else's, ex. That link you posted it's dated early in the year when he did post so the post-tune results coulda been done with great da and the pre-tune results may have been in the summer. Just remember to have fun with it when your running test n tunes, it's not always about running the fastest record time, and only leave out the hole when your ready unless your racing someone and want to try and win.

P.S. RWD SSS tare faster then AWD SSS

lol jk but they are.

Did you have the stock headers and exhaust at that time? I also have the volant power core. So far no issues.

Nope I had all my current mods in sig. Headers were my 1st mod. Cai was 2nd and then I had a tune made.

Yeah, the TB was on the truck when I bought it. Why they installed a TB thats only 2 mm larger than stock is beyond me. I do have fun with the truck its not that I'm disappointed with it. It's just that when I see many SS/6.0 owners that get great gains from their tune,( I hear " Night and Day" difference a lot) and with mine, I never felt any such difference. You'd think I would at least have the placebo effect ya know? I could tell there was a big difference in the shifting and it Rev's up a little quicker but that about it. My point really is that the only reason I bought the tune from BB is because of their reputation. I'm really not that impressed. Don't get me wrong I'm badmouthing the guy, I'm just not satisfied with what I received versus what the customer reviews are. DA and mods aside, If the trucks from the links earlier were basically the same as mine and they had great gains from the tune, why can't I get even close to similar results? I found a horsepower calculator to help me get a estimate on what hp is equal to the 2 mph I gained, It's roughly 15 whp. I could be wrong, maybe there are more factors with AWD. There again, thats why I'm asking the guys with more experience.

Thanks

I don't think you really have much mods to start with, the 80mm TB I'd say is just as good as the stock 78mm. Those flowmasters I had on my truck when I bought it, I was gonna use them for another project. But idk that they're a straight though design. I'd dump the 2 mufflers and get a straight through muffler and if you wanted to benefit from a TB then get a tbss intake and 87/90mm TB. Headers and converter will be worth a decent amount of ET if that's what your looking for, over .5 seconds.

When I ran my truck at a 14.2, mods where stall, same Flowmaster exhaust as you, and AEM intake all on 22" wheels keep in mind I'm RWD so that's playing with tht throttle off the line. Added LT's, and only a tbss with stock 78mm TB and ran a best of 13.5. This is without having the truck tuned, yet. That was with good da, lately da has changed with the season and it's ran nearly the same for have a 2k+ difference in DA, but I've also added some mods that should drop another .1, probably haven't seen that improvement because of the da, my 60's are also getting worse so that changes the outcome of the 1/4 times.
Keep in mind there are always variables when you compare your own results with anyone else's, ex. That link you posted it's dated early in the year when he did post so the post-tune results coulda been done with great da and the pre-tune results may have been in the summer. Just remember to have fun with it when your running test n tunes, it's not always about running the fastest record time, and only leave out the hole when your ready unless your racing someone and want to try and win.

P.S. RWD SSS tare faster then AWD SSS
lol jk but they are.

Edited by Normandy (see edit history)

Yeah, the TB was on the truck when I bought it. Why they installed a TB thats only 2 mm larger than stock is beyond me. I do have fun with the truck its not that I'm disappointed with it. It's just that when I see many SS/6.0 owners that get great gains from their tune,( I hear " Night and Day" difference a lot) and with mine, I never felt any such difference. You'd think I would at least have the placebo effect ya know? I could tell there was a big difference in the shifting and it Rev's up a little quicker but that about it. My point really is that the only reason I bought the tune from BB is because of their reputation. I'm really not that impressed. Don't get me wrong I'm badmouthing the guy, I'm just not satisfied with what I received versus what the customer reviews are. DA and mods aside, If the trucks from the links earlier were basically the same as mine and they had great gains from the tune, why can't I get even close to similar results? I found a horsepower calculator to help me get a estimate on what hp is equal to the 2 mph I gained, It's roughly 15 whp. I could be wrong, maybe there are more factors with AWD. There again, thats why I'm asking the guys with more experience.

Thanks

Every engine is different. Also that throttle body is 5 mm larger than stock. The cars had 78 mm and trucks had a 75 mm. But it also depends on how far Black Bear went with your truck. Compared to the other 3 LQ9's I have driven, my truck seems to want to jump up in revs a lot quicker. my personal engine I have never driven without a tune

I would think better heads would make more use of headers than a cam would, am i correct in saying that?

well a cam is pulling a lot more air into the engine over a stock one so that extra air being pulled into the motor needs to exit quicker and the headers help to do that. not saying that heads wouldn't. my reference was just about a cam needing headers to help breathe.

Thanks

Call Zippy - He's the man with these trucks

Not bashing on BB but Zippy is the SS King in my Op. My 1st tune was amazing and ran 7 years with even throwing one code. Truck ran flawless and best 1/8 time was a 9.4 not to bad.

Emailed him already, just waiting for his response.

Not bashing on BB but Zippy is the SS King in my Op. My 1st tune was amazing and ran 7 years with even throwing one code. Truck ran flawless and best 1/8 time was a 9.4 not to bad.

What were your times before/after the tune? Also what were your mods at the time.

Thanks

Sure you didn't have a tune on the trck to start with?

If it was Im sure BB wouldn't have given me the core charge back. Assuming it was a "box" tune.