Fluid change recommendations

catdaddy300

Ok so i change my oil regularly along with plugs and wires and everything but what are the recommendations on a a trans drain or the fluid in the differential? I have heard from people around me say that if you dont have any problems or leaks with the trans dont ever mess with it. I know that sounds really iffy but i couldn't find any solid milages for the different kinds of services. My truck is creeping up on 90,000 miles and i feel like it is time to at least get new tranny fluid or something bc i know i have never changed it or added anything to it! If you could help a brother out or at least point me in the right direction that would be awesome!!!!

I flushed mine at 60k when I bought it and I'm gonna do it shortly again at almost 100k. If i bought the truck at 100k and it had never been done, i wouldn't flush it but since I have regularly flushed it, I'm not worried about having it flushed again.

I normally run a little extra fluid in the Diff to clean out anything that got stuck behind. Its a pain to fill to it, but well worth a little fluid. I used a clear house and used that to fill it since the fill is in a tight spot.

For filling the front differential, I use a gear oil pump made to refill an outboard motor lower unit gearcase. Not this exact one but this one is probably as good as any of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Pump-Lower-Unit/dp/B004UOPZ9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408320112&sr=8-1&keywords=outboard+motor+lower+unit+gear+oil+pump

I normally run a little extra fluid in the Diff to clean out anything that got stuck behind. Its a pain to fill to it, but well worth a little fluid. I used a clear house and used that to fill it since the fill is in a tight spot.

literally the exact same thing I did to fill mine. great minds think alike!

• 7 months later...

Ok so i was going to do my fluid change in my tranny and like 3 different people told me to drain all my old fluid and reuse it. This is a new one for me. Any thoughts on this? They said the friction from the fluid is whats keeping everything working right and new fluid would make it wear

Ok so i was going to do my fluid change in my tranny and like 3 different people told me to drain all my old fluid and reuse it. This is a new one for me. Any thoughts on this? They said the friction from the fluid is whats keeping everything working right and new fluid would make it wear

Sorry but that is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. ATF breaks down from heat, actually any oil does. Second you need to change your filter and the only way to do this is to drop the pan. Gm recommends at 50k and if you look at your owners manual most people qualify for severe use. City driving? Pulling a trailer? Lots of stop and go traffic? Temps regularly above 90? Check any of those and you fall under severe duty. At end of the day it's your vehicle do whatever you want but I always laugh when people say that their (insert vehicle here) is a pile of crap with nothing but problems. But when you ask them they have done zero maintence. As far as flushing I am against using chemicals in the flush process. When you drop pan you only get about 50% of fluid out your not getting old worn out fluid out of the converter and cooler etc. Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

Yeah it just sounds kinda suspicious! I know lots of people dont ever even change there fluid at all! Does anyone know if GM even has a recommended fluid for the trans? I used Lucas in the front and rear and i dont know if they even have a ATF fluid but then again I haven't even checked, but if they dont have any ill just go with that AMSOIL

Yeah, they do have recommendations. At the time the SSS's were being made, GM called for Dexron III. That's since been updated to Dexron VI, per TSB 04-07-037D dated 11/21/07. Here was that TSB, if anyone is interested... http://www.atra.com/Dash/Fluid/ATFUsageBulletin.pdf

As for the AMSOIL, let me know if you decide you would like to try it out. I can probably ship you what you would need, plus the filter, for less than you would pay local retail. It looks like the price should be a little less than the AC Delco fluid too. I don't mind you asking for a quote and shopping around either. To make price checking the Dex VI a little easier, the Delco part numbers are 88861003 for quarts and 88861045 for gallons.

Here is info on the Fluid and Filter that our trucks use also.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/signature-series-fuel-efficient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=ATLQT-EA

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/transmission/wix-transmission-filter/?code=58608-EA

Edited by levilz (see edit history)