Mountain Biking

Hey I know this is probably an odd question, but does anyone on here go mountain biking? I was just looking at a nice specialized mountain bicycle on eBay that I am thinking about buying. It's one of those bicycles that you can upgrade the front fork and the rear shock and the swingarm, stem, disc brakes and all that good stuff. Specialized full suspension mountain bicycles cost in upwards of $800 to $8000+. Anyone on here ride those and does anyone on here actually go mountain biking on trails and mountains?

Edited by 2006 Intimidator SS (see edit history)

That's a sweet looking bike. :thumbsup:

Completely different animal compared to this one I bought a LONG time ago. This was one of the first "Off the rack" mnt. bikes. It's still my daily commute to and from work.

Thanks! I've had many different flavors over the years but got talked into trying the full rigid single speed last year by a friend and am now hooked! The full suspension stuff I've had made things too easy lol

depending on what type of MT biking you are doing depends on the bike you should buy. if you plan to do a bunch of just hilly trail riding i would not waste the money with one with rear suspension when climbing a hill you dont want it. with how it compresses it takes away from forward movement. (if you dont care about money then buy what you want and lock the rear shock). down hill is where the rear shock helps a ton. just my 2 cents.

I just started mountain biking out here in Phoenix. I bought this cheap bike http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/haymaker2900.htm a couple of years ago and it was ok for dicking around the neighborhood but now that I'm actually going off road I wish I got something at a local store that fits my body better. Rather than just buying something online and hoping if fits right. My bike I think is a little big for me and I'm just waiting to rack my nuts good on the crossbar one of these days. Also the trails out hear are full of rocks and my ass literally pays for not having a full suspension bike every time I go out. Where your at the trails are probably not as rocky but if they are I'd look into a full suspension bike.

I ride all the time. Here's my valiant steed!

I keep coming back for another look at your bike. The more I look the more I like.

I've never seen spokes woven like that. What is the advantage? Carbon fiber crank arms? How are the disc brakes? (I've never ridden a bicycle with disc's).

I keep coming back for another look at your bike. The more I look the more I like.

I've never seen spokes woven like that. What is the advantage? Carbon fiber crank arms? How are the disc brakes? (I've never ridden a bicycle with disc's).

The spokes being woven like this are supposed to make the wheel stiffer/stronger but I had them done mainly for looks. A shop out of Arizona built them. Stan's rims with Chris King hubs for the win! Love the sound of king hubs terrorizing the trails! Lol

Yes my crank arms are carbon fiber. I have a lot of single track with little rocks so they aren't an issue. I do have arm protectors on to reduce scratches and rubber boots at the pedals to help with smacking the occasional log or rock.

Disc brakes are the only way to go now and wouldn't even bother with a bike with rim brakes anymore.... They just aren't very safe unless you're riding somewhere fairly flat. My Shimano XTR's are the best I've ever used (even over the really expensive Formula brakes I've had before).

My bike is super light and comes in right at 16.5lbs as pictured. I could make it lighter swapping out the wheels for a carbon fiber set but no way I'm spending that much of wheels... Already have a ton of money in it already.

I am going to check out some good mountain bicycles this weekend. I just bought a new mountain bicycle at wal-mart not even two months ago. I found out it's too big for me to ride aggressively. So I dug out my receit and I am going to return this mountain bicycle to wal-mart for a refund when I get home this weekend.

I am going to check out some good mountain bicycles this weekend. I just bought a new mountain bicycle at wal-mart not even two months ago. I found out it's too big for me to ride aggressively. So I dug out my receit and I am going to return this mountain bicycle to wal-mart for a refund when I get home this weekend.

Take a look at http://www.pinkbike.com. There's always some great deals on used rides there.