Soap leaving a film?

jsanders347

Seems like every time I wash my truck no matter what soap I use it leaves a film. The paint feels all rough and sticky. I washed and clay bared the truck not long ago and it felt smooth as glass. I just washed it yesterday and there's water spots all over it and it feels rough. What's the deal? I used meguiars (forget the name but it's yellow if that helps). On the bottle it said to mix 1 ounce of soap per gallon of water. I used one ounce of soap with 3-4 gallons of water.

The truck was in the shade and it had been all day. It was about 75 degrees outside.

So what's the deal? What am I doing wrong? Does it need to be buffed? It's making me crazy!

Edited by Sanders (see edit history)

Did you use any type of product to seal it up after the clay bar I.e. wax or a synthetic sealant? Also, as mentioned some type of spray wax or quick detailer as you dry will make a big difference.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)

Hard water ?

Exactly my first thought as well. I've washed my truck off with our well water that is not softened and it water spotted so quickly it was impossible to get it dried off without tons of spots. Now it always gets washed with the softened water. I also agree to seal it after you clay bar it with some good wax, definitely makes a big difference for the next wash.

Exactly my first thought as well. I've washed my truck off with our well water that is not softened and it water spotted so quickly it was impossible to get it dried off without tons of spots. Now it always gets washed with the softened water. I also agree to seal it after you clay bar it with some good wax, definitely makes a big difference for the next wash.

Was gonna say the same thing. My water is softened. It hardly ever water spots. I've clay bared mine once but when I was done I put a heavy coat of Meguiers wax on and it was fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Need to put a good coat of wax on that puppy. My truck gets waxed at least once a month. Hood at least twice. Paint still looks great and it has never been garage kept. No peeling nothing anywhere.

Meh, I've used Adams detail spray for almost a year. Tried the new Surf City Garage polymer detail spray and it blew Adams away! Better shine, much more protecting, and stays looking better for way longer imo

Dylan from Adams is now behind SGC, so their pro line is top notch stuff as well.

But op.. Definitely clay her again, use a nice sealant, then a wax. And future washes keep the truck wet till you're done washing, spray with a good detail spray and dry with a waffle weave towel

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)