Supermaxx headers!!!

BeefTip

I am thinking about getting a set supermaxx headers with hi-flow cats. I really have limited mechanical knowlege :banghead: (CAI,pcm, stuff like that-no welding) and i was wondering if it is very dificult to install this system. I am a novice and i was wondering what tools i would need besides a few sockets and wrenches. I really dont have acces to a lift so if that is involved i will have to rethink doing it myself. Any recommendations?

I did mine on jack stands and took the front wheels off. to take the stock system out you are gonna have to lower the tranny crossmember a little to work the stock piping out, unless you wanna cut it. :smash: You need short and long 15mm soket for collector, 10mm for header to head and 15 openend wrench for one of the pipes that meets up to the stock system. Put Penatrating oil on the 02 sensors before removing 21 or 22mm wrench. Lots of long extension to tighten the top collector bolts. hope that helps :thumbs:

thanks, that was about as precise as it can get. As far as lowering the tranny crossmember, is there really much involved in that. I imagine the new exhaust is really just a reverse of taking the old manifolds off. I had a z28 w/lt1 and I had some longtubes installed but it was an extremely tight fit and the steering column had to be moved to get them in. That install sounds a little to easy to be true, of course, everything i try to do I end up getting slowed down somewhere.

For the tranny cross member, i got a jack and put a little tension on it then took out the 2 bolts and each side of it and then lowered it down as far as i needed, to remove the stock pipe, then just jacked it back up and put bolts back in. The driver side is the more trickey of the 2 headers, i would remove the spark plugs from that side also, but passenger side they can stay in. you may have to manipulate the heat sheild just a little on driver side also. i think they also have you cut a heat sheild bolt down also, if i am not mistaken.

It's not too difficult from what I have seen. Seems like a decent system, although I didn't like the problems with plug wires (seemingly more than most on this system), or the added difficulty of putting in plugs. Not sure if BSER ever did get the #8 plug in correctly or not. The supermaxx system is a nice piece, but kind of believe some that may have done it would have gone a different route if they had to do all over again. JMO. Shop around. The cats they sell with the system are just slightly higher flow than your stock cats.

Archived