Marker light trouble

NipRing

So on the driver side tail light, the little bulb at the bottom was burned out since I got the truck. I went to replace it today and while it does light up, the turn signal doesn't work then. And the dash arrow is dimly lit and like half of the leds in the driver side mirror are lit. When I pull the market bulb out, everything goes back to normal. Any ideas?

Edited by NipRing (see edit history)

That is a strange problem. The dash marker and the LED indicator in the mirror sounds like a ground problem but I can't figure why putting a good bulb in the socket would cause the problem. Are the bulb sockets in the tail light assembly clean and in good shape? Can you get a look at the wiring harness that feeds the light assembly, and check it for damage? I have not actually studied my light assembly's and so can't tell you where to look for ground's but that is still where I would start. Make up a simple single wire jumper wire and hook it to a good ground and then hook the other end to the bulb socket your having trouble with and see if that changes your symptoms. My guess is that the problem is in the light assembly sockets or a ground issue.

Good luck man. Hope it's a simple fix.

Just this past Saturday i did Chris's 4 marker tail light mod. Solder and shrink tubing (looks awesome by the way). But i've also had the bed off twice in the last six months. I'll check if i plugged those wiring harnesses back in tight.

• 1 month later...