Tires/snow help. New to having an SS

RottenSS

I have a question since this is my first SS and AWD vehicle and vehicle with street tires. Have any of you driven with your truck in the snow with street tires? How does it do? I have Goodyear eagle LS2 tires now but big into snowboarding and go a lot but don't wanna buy a new set if I don't have to and don't want to use chains if I don't have to. Have any of you put just 2 aggressive tires on? I've always had bigger trucks with really aggressive tires so never delt with this.

Puting just 2 aggressive tires on the truck is worthless since you are AWD and it can also do lots of damage to the transfer case if you have different size tires on.

I use to drive quite a bit in my SS with the LS2s in pretty nasty snow and I never had any issues. With the AWD system and the stock tires i felt safer and more planted in the snow then I currently do in my 4X4 with all terrain tires that are considered traction tires.

Driving in the snow is all about how you drive. Drive to fast and it does not matter what kind of tires you have. Take your time and drive smart and you can drive a corvette with summer only tires no problem.

Since you dont have to drive in a lot of snow, and you dont go snowboarding all the time, you should be just fine, but I would recommend getting a set of chains just in case.

If you feel unsafe you could also look into finding a cheap set of 16" wheels and some used narrow and more agressive tires. I bought a set for my SS and only used them one winter that was really nasty. The SS with its AWD system with some more narrow and aggresive tires is a beast in the snow.

DSC00588-1.jpg

Thank you for the detailed response. That's kind of what I figured. Just have never owned a 2wd car or truck and have only had bigger 4x4 trucks so awd and street tires is new to me. Figured it's almost like a big subaru haha. I have plenty of snow driving experience so wasn't too worried.

Thank you for the detailed response. That's kind of what I figured. Just have never owned a 2wd car or truck and have only had bigger 4x4 trucks so awd and street tires is new to me. Figured it's almost like a big subaru haha. I have plenty of snow driving experience so wasn't too worried.

Exactly like a big Subaru LOL. In my Opinion the AWD system on the SS is far superior to the 4X4 System in the regular silverados. The only thing the 4X4's have that is better is the low gear which is very useful in some situations, but how often do those situations arise? I have owned trucks my whole life and drove in lots of snow, and the only time I ever used 4 low was to pull another vehicle out of a ditch.

The only vehicle I have ever driven that feels better in nasty weather than my SS is my Subaru Legacy GT, and it has "all seasons" which are actually more like summer tires.

• 1 month later...

I use to race awd BMW's in the snow, Bridgestone Blizzaks are the only option I would choose for a snow tire. These trucks have some weight so slow and steady does it fine with the Eagle Ls2's (with my luck). Give it some throttle and you can be sideways in a heartbeat. I would recomend some other rims (steels are fine) and throw some Blizzaks on them if you want no worries in the snow.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a set of Toyo Open Country H/T's on my truck and had two snows that were over 14" deep, I was extremely surprised. By far the best vehicle I've ever owned for snow/ice over any of the 4x4's I've owned.

I work for Toyo and get an employee discount so that was the obvious choice for me, but knew someone running Michelin's in the past that had great luck out of them.

Nitto dune grapplers they are very durable and they tear ass in the snow a bit heavy for summer driving but after ripping a couple of offramps at 55mph without any sound or front tire wash out you'll forget about the weight I got 30,000 miles on these and there still at least 3/4 tread plus they look pretty sweet not easy to clean when they get dirty due to the side wall design wrapping the tread but it helps as a buffing zone on curbs before you puncture your tires sidewall these tires are literally military tuff and the mileage you get out of a set is unbelievable

3d88bbddc722902be4598084f1dd3b01.jpg

Front

94fd59fa3f6c094941a7666216cad038.jpg

rear

Both drivers side

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)