Trucks Wont stay Running

SSenvy

Just drove the truck for over an hour or more, ran perfect..... good as ever. Got home, parked it for 2 hours.... hit my remote start, truck started per normal. As Im getting my daughter ready I notice my trucks RMPs dropping really low and then surging back up to keep from stalling. Eventually the truck stalls. I go outside, fire it back up.... same thing wont stay running. It runs normal for 2-3 seconds then RMP"s drop after 30 seconds or so truck will stall out..... It also loses RPM"s if im on the throttle and holding so its not just Idling. 1 case it went from 2k RPM"s to a complete stall.

Any clues guys? I know the techs are going to be lost without any CEL on.

Is this a fuel Pump issue? Just strange as the truck ran perfectly for over an hour before this.... No I didn't fill up at any gas station today, truck has 3/4 tank of fuel.

Lost... lol

My best guess would be the fuel pump if it was running fine and then suddenly died out. Listen carefully to hear if the pump is running for a couple seconds on key on. If it's not sometimes you can whack on the bottom of the gas tank with a piece of wood to temporarily revive it. I got that to work on my old 2000 years ago.

Thanks matt. I was trying to listen but damn wind is blowing so hard right now I cant hear anything... and I don't have a garage. I spent the last Hour googling what my trucks doing and getting 100 different possibilities.

When the wind dies down im going to try Swapping back to stock PCM... its a looooong shot, but a 5 minute effort is worth eliminating atleast that possibility.

Im hoping that This happened to someone else and can tell me what fixed theirs.

Same thing happened to the girlfriends avalanche. Ran fine, started up then drove a bit and died. Started up for a bit then idle went down and stalled. Sometimes the gas would work and drive maybe 10 feet then die. Fuel pump went out and fuel filter was clogged. But it also threw a code telling me it wasn't getting enough fuel and was misfiring

Sounds like a bad pump. Was the pump making any noise? On most Gm vehicles you can hear when the pump is going you will hear a whine noise from tank when they are real loud typically they don't have much time left. One thing to keep in mind if you have never changed your filter and do so you also run risk of blowing pump out. The pumps compensate and ramp up pressure to compensate for plugged filters. Once you change it typically blows up shortly after. Seen a bunch of them......

What I did on my truck, since youre gonna replace the filter, is check if the fuel pump is working.

I just removed the filter then put the key in the on position, I lost some fuel but at least it helped.

What I did on my truck, since youre gonna replace the filter, is check if the fuel pump is working.

I just removed the filter then put the key in the on position, I lost some fuel but at least it helped.

Or you could just use a fuel pressure gauge and check on the rail.... heck of a lot safer!

• 1 month later...

I know this was a while ago, but I wanted to let others know what the fix was. Believe it or not, I changed the fuel filter and it completely fixed it. I never get lucky like that, I still cant believe that was the problem, but it was.

So, if you truck is acting like its wanting to stall as If its running out of fuel... Yes, it can be a clogged fuel filter. 20 dollar fix... check that first