Putco LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kits

silveradoss_3

Says the output is 2000 lumens? Am I wrong in not thinking that's very bright? I got a flashlight that is a million. Maybe it's a million candle power or whatever it's called.

I've got a flashlight that puts out 870 lumens in "turbo mode". It's super bright but will only stay in that mode for 90 seconds. If you keep putting it in turbo mode it gets hot quick. It warns in the manual that putting it in turbo mode repeatedly will reduce the life of the battery and flashlight. I could not imagine a million lumen flashlight. I think you are right in thinking yours is rated in candlepower.

Have you ridden in a vehicle with led headlights? I have recently, i was quite impressed to say the least as i thought the same before. Just dont know if the technology is there for them to last a long time yet.. But it will be shortly im sure and we will all be running led headlights if i had to take a good guess at it..

How about some more info on this? What was it in? Brand of LED's?

If you've seen led street lights mounted on the telephone poles then you would know the technology is there but the prices are stupid high.

A mass highway inspector told me one led street light cost 10,000 installed that includes man hours police details mass highway inspectors and parts and materials

Standing under it the ground looks like daylight and good luck if you look up you'll be blind for a few minutes

Off road guys have been using led light bars that are stupid bright for a few years and those aren't cheap

also the mass state troopers have led take down lights mounted on the push bars one on each side that are stupid bright asked how much those cost 800 a side

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

How about some more info on this? What was it in? Brand of LED's?

It was in a jeep wrangler, so round lights and something like 9007 bulbs?? thats why i didnt really comment on it(has no relavance to this site). But like i said i was impressed, We got out once with the vehicle off and walked in front and popped the hood and i heard a fan and asked if the efan was on, nope it was the headlights, they have a big heat sink and fans on the back.. owner said they both had burned out once already and had to use warranty. Thats why i say the technology isnt quite there yet unless you want to spend huge money upfront like ^ he is saying.. But they will come down like all electronic stuff does with competition eventually..

I got back in my truck which supposdily has 5k hids in it and they made them look way more blue than i thought they were, leds were whiter than white..

Edited by skolman91 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran into this topic and I have LED headlights off of ebay and they are super bright. The first generations were bright but did not project. Next came the fan version and ballast. The newest generation uses cooling fins and no ballast.

Here is where the problem is. On a 2004(TRUCK) after you install the LED it wont fit because the fins protrude too far out. On a 2008 which uses 2011 and 2005 they have the room to run this type of light and they come in 20w (2200 to 2400) and 30w (cant remember that but its more)

My 2005 Malibu has the room. Look on ebay and search for led headlight kits. They start around 50.00 and becareful as the ones starting at 25 to 30.00 are for one . These vendors try to fool you thinking you are buying a set. Take it from me I was taking the bait . Hook line and sinker

Edited by 1quicktruck (see edit history)

I just ran into this topic and I have LED headlights off of ebay and they are super bright. The first generations were bright but did not project. Next came the fan version and ballast. The newest generation uses cooling fins and no ballast.

Here is where the problem is. On a 2004(TRUCK) after you install the LED it wont fit because the fins protrude too far out. On a 2008 which uses 2011 and 2005 they have the room to run this type of light and they come in 20w (2200 to 2400) and 30w (cant remember that but its more)

My 2005 Malibu has the room. Look on ebay and search for led headlight kits. They start around 50.00 and becareful as the ones starting at 25 to 30.00 are for one . These vendors try to fool you thinking you are buying a set. Take it from me I was taking the bait . Hook line and sinker

Just to verify, are you saying that the 2005 trucks do or dont have the room for these leds?

• 5 months later...

I bought putcos and they wouldn't fit as said, not enough clearance. I ordered some from jdm off amazon with copper braids on the back for cooling, they fit but aren't quite as bright as I hoped. They have cree chips, and look identical to the comparable putcos but 100 cheaper per pair

I installed LED headlights on my 1994 C2500, 1997 Suburban, and 2006 Dodge Magnum. Both required some modification to fit; the truck took a lot more. Had to open up the existing hole in the core support and also the headlight bracket to make room for the heat sink on the LED. The Magnum just took a little bit of grinding on the core support.

They're bright, claiming 2400 lumens, but they're not as bright as 35W HID's. Color is nice at around 6000K.

97burb_017s.jpg

Fence is about 200 feet away, housings could still use a little adjusting too. Wasn't the best place to try to get a good pic since all the other lights on, but you can see the white color of the LED's along the driveway and against the fence.

97burb_021s.jpg

Richard