power steering pump

harriss

My steering wheel is very hard to turn at low rpms. There is no noise coming from the power steering pump. Ive read about changing an orifice in the pump. How can I diagnose the problem?

Thanks

What year is your truck? I had this problem on one of my company car (truck) back in the day.

There was a TSB for that....

Document ID# 1653246

Lack of Steering Assist or Shudder During Parking Lot Type Maneuvers - keywords bind booster brake hard hydraulic low no noise oil power slow speed steer trailer #PIT3386A - (Apr 28, 2005)
Lack of Steering Assist or Shudder During Parking Lot Type Maneuvers
2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2005 Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

1999-2005 GMC Sierra, Savana, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2003-2005 Hummer H2

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on a lack of steering assist or shudder during parking lot type maneuvers.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Please follow normal diagnostics in eSI for this condition. If the customer situation warrants a repair, replace the current pressure control valve with P/N 26095470, available from GMSPO. This valve will provide additional steering assist during parking lot type maneuvers. If this concern occurs when stopped or at very slow speeds with brakes applied, please reference PIT3310.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

i just checked the ps fluid level and its good. i started the truck and was able to turn easily while the rpms hadnt idled down yet. when it got down to 800 became hard. The belt looks ok. Would it help changing the fluid? I dont understand why it has been ok for all these years and suddenly be bad, which make me wonder why i would new the updated orfice.

I tried the updated orifice also due to having an issue with loss of power steering at low rpm. I found that it didn't help. So next I swapped out the entire pump and haven't had the issue since (that's probably been 3 years now). During my research for the issue, I also remember reading that the "chrome" GM looking pumps had an improvement over the original black ones so I purchased a "chrome" version off ebay. Also during this battle, I first installed a remaned Oreilly, AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, etc pump and that thing functioned correctly, but it had a terrible whine. I only ran that pump for about a week before going to the GM version.

the new pump fixed the issue. When I turned the wheel to full lock, there was no additional noise from the pump....there should have been. When at full lock and revved up a bit, the pump made the sound of a bad pump.