LS2 Swap Advice

Recently got the opportunity to pick up a healthy LS2 for a price I couldn't say no to.

My question is if anyone has ever dropped an LS2 in one of our trucks?

Would the engine bolt right up, harness, tranny?

I couldn't find much info, and if so, can someone point me in the right direction.

Would the swap even be worth the gains, pros and cons?

Thanks gentlemen.

So no ones done the swap before?
All the info I find is giving me mixed feelings.

Thanks for the help 1BAD, any info on your build since essentially its similar to what im trying to do..

Yeah man, it's pretty straight forward. Everything literally bolted into place and started up just fine. Mine was a bit more drastic since I went from a 5.3 and also did the magnacharger as well. I would go ahead and do a cam while it is out if you ever plan on one. Also consider a good billet converter. Thats what I'm in the process of roght now.

Yeah man, it's pretty straight forward. Everything literally bolted into place and started up just fine. Mine was a bit more drastic since I went from a 5.3 and also did the magnacharger as well. I would go ahead and do a cam while it is out if you ever plan on one. Also consider a good billet converter. Thats what I'm in the process of roght now.

I guess im gonna pull the trigger on it then.

Im wanting to get a blower as well, still indecisive on which route to go, but I might have scored a deal on a brand new blower, but if anything I want a Jackshaft style or a Side mount.

What is this stuff I hear about some crank sensor or something being different on the LS2.

Hmm, you might have to extend the cam position sensor wire and knock sensor wire. I think you might have a gen 4 motor, if so I'm not positive you might have t run that lingenfelter 58x-24x conversion box. It's like a cpl hundred bucks. I didn't think about that.

Post up on pt. Those guys should def be able to help you out. I would also recommend going ahead and doing 4l80e conversion while it's down if you plan to boost it. A 60e will never last without spend a whole sh1tload on one, and even still these trucks are too heavy for them imo.

Hmm, you might have to extend the cam position sensor wire and knock sensor wire. I think you might have a gen 4 motor, if so I'm not positive you might have t run that lingenfelter 58x-24x conversion box. It's like a cpl hundred bucks. I didn't think about that.

Post up on pt. Those guys should def be able to help you out. I would also recommend going ahead and doing 4l80e conversion while it's down if you plan to boost it. A 60e will never last without spend a whole sh1tload on one, and even still these trucks are too heavy for them imo.

Yeah, been piecing together a 4l80 swap.

Also what do you think ill have to do as far as headers, did you have to get custom ones, or are there ones we can get off the shelves?

Im thinking probably some TBSS headers might work, what do you think?

Edited by kaze_v8 (see edit history)

You just buy some to fit your truck. They bolt up exactly the same as far as the motor goes, but they'll be bent to fit your engine bay and frame and stuff. I just used ARH for nbs silverado and they fit amazing. So yeah just off the shelf silverado headers for a 4x4 would work perfect for you.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)

You might wanna do some research too, to see if it would be better to just pull the crank to swap in the 24X reluctor and swap the 4X cam sensor to your factory 1X. I don't wanna point you in the wrong direction.

You might wanna do some research too, to see if it would be better to just pull the crank to swap in the 24X reluctor and swap the 4X cam sensor to your factory 1X. I don't wanna point you in the wrong direction.

I think the years vary on whether the reluctor wheel came attached to the crank or not.

Maybe im talking out of my ass but that's what im getting from what im reading. If anything id have to take a look at the engine no?

Worst case scenario id have to buy a crank or no?

I'm pretty sure they are always bolted to the crank, but the good news is, worst case you just pull it, and reinstall it with the 24 tooth wheel. Maybe see if anyone recommends the converter box that lingenfelter sells. That would be the only alternative.

I'm pretty sure they are always bolted to the crank, but the good news is, worst case you just pull it, and reinstall it with the 24 tooth wheel. Maybe see if anyone recommends the converter box that lingenfelter sells. That would be the only alternative.

All ive gathered so far is extending a knock sensor and tapping it into the block, and that reluctor wheel issue.

Also would I need to run a truck intake manifold?

How pricy and tedious would that whole reluctor wheel swap be? What does that convertor box do?

Looks like I might have gotten lucky. Early Gen IV Ls2 are 1x and 24x crankshaft.

The LS2 I have is from an 06 GTO, so lets hope I got a carry over engine from 05, and be for certain, but the Lingenfer website says 06 are.

Ill have to look at the engine once I get some spare time, im praying this will be easier than expected.

Yeah you might have. I was assuming it was from a tbss. It's really easy to tell. Pop the crank sensor and look in. If it looks almost identical to a sprocket, then it's 58 tooth. If it has gaps between the squared off looking teeth, it's 24.