Fuel found in engine oil

Yeah, I hope to get this figured out pretty quick, then I think I'm going to this... http://www.mokandragway.com/event_info/truck_diesel_drags.html on July 18th. Then I have a couple of pretty major surprises on order :ph34r: The first of which should be here in the next couple of weeks, but the other won't be here for like another 6 weeks. Should be in good shape for some sweet numbers this fall. I really don't expect to run that fast if I end up going to that truck bracket race because I'm sure it'll be too hot to put down any good numbers.

Well, I hooked up the pressure gauge to the Schrader valve last night, turned the key and by the time I got back under the hood to look at the gauge, it was at 45 psi and dropping pretty fast. I then shut off the key and it started dropping even faster...I'm assuming the fuel is probably draining back into the tank from the return line. Tomorrow I'm going to disconnect the braided return line that attaches to the quick disconnect outlet on the rail, hook a plain rubber hose onto it, crimp the other end and then re-do the test. I had family over today and didn't have time to mess with it. ...I'll keep you posted

I'm sorry Randy, but you have a problem with an injector or your check valve in your fuel pump... Even with a return style fuel system it should stay primed for a minimum of a few hours... If it dropped to 45psi from the time you turned the key to looking at the gauge and then still continue to drop rapidly you have something not working right... If it is indeed fuel in your oil then it most likely a leaky injector.... Return style fuel systems can last days at 60psi in the rails...

That makes sense - if it were a faulty check valve in the pump, the fuel would just drain back into the tank and not into the oil. Do I just start pulling spark plugs to find out which injector it is or is there another way to find out?

It is kind of a pain but it can be done... You can pull plugs and look into each cylinder to find the wet one or check for the rich or wet plug but sometimes you wont be able to identify that way... You can also take the fuel rail off and leave the injectors and all other lines hooked up and cycle the key on power to pressurize the system and look for which injector is leaking.... I am pretty sure you can use some scan tools to identify fuel trims I cant remember exactly how to check this way....

Fuelabs regulator instructions clearly state the regulator is not designed to hold pressure without the pump running. Just a FYI. Can't compare stock return setups to aftermarket as they have different mannerisms.

Unbolt fuel rails, raise rails and injectors up. Prime fuel system and see if any leak. Just unplug your coil harness so it can't be started accidentally.