Air Bag Service Message

chevybowtie72

Have a weird air bag service message on my dic? I have had it since i bought the truck last year. The previous owner said that at some time the front seats had been switch out for another set. That previous owner believes that may be the reason for the air bag message. Also the air bag light is on( picture of a person with air deployed in the dash.) At the time i had him agree he would try to get that fixed. Well he brought it in to a gm dealer and they could not found in actual reason why but wanted to order a new air bag module and passenger seat bottom for the air bag switch. Gm also tried that harness fix where they put new connectors on. He then tried a used air bag module with a Tech2 which he had at his disposal from a stereo shop. He tried to hook that up. I dont know what he actual tried to do but i could assume he tried to communicate with it. No go. Here is the thing.... I have no real way of pin pointing where to start. Im trying to choose wisely where to start spending money to fix this. Hopefully lesser then greater. I want to think that the air bag module needs to be reset. I thought that they never really go bad from what i read. Oh and the rear view mirror always says the passenger air bag is off no matter if someone is in that seat. I could assume that no air bags are deployable at this moment with this problem. Also could something down the line like the front bumper sensors could cause this?

I seen this happen to a buddy's truck and it's a easy fix if you find the right year seats for the truck for example, if you have a 2003-2004 and try installing seats from a 2005-2006 it will trigger "Service Air Bag" you cannot change from different years and both have different plugs on years plus different air bag sensor units from those years.

Ya i dont know what year the seats where from. I think he said they where from a 2500 i beleive. They look exactly like ss seats except without the "SS" logo headrest. So no way of making them work if they are from a diffrent year other them the year of my truck? The harness is the same as far as i know though. They are plugged in.

Edited by chevybowtie72 (see edit history)

Well if they truly are from a 2500 truck, then that is definitely your problem. The 1500 truck has a different system which is dual stage srs. The 2500 trucks have a single stage. You need seats from a 1500 for your year like Alex mentioned.

Nice..... Why someone would change these seats out is beyond me. The seats are fully powered with front and back, lumbar adjustment, and heated. Both passenger and driver. They are the correct dark pewter color. So what other models have that exact same set up. I could believe denali's and esclades? Would 2500's have them too? Trying to narrow down now that i know about what was stated above and really see if this are actually 2500 seats like i was told. Also any way visually or nonvisually what these seats could possible be out of?

I believe all the power seats in the LT model trucks were the same with the exception of the dual or single stage which I just found out about.

Man u people are on it. More knowledgeable then i thought. Also these seats are also non carpet backs. Another words they are vinyl with pockets. I guess some models had carpet back to them.

I believe all the power seats in the LT model trucks were the same with the exception of the dual or single stage which I just found out about.

What about the powered lumbar adjustment for the passenger seat. I thought that only the upper models have that. Edited by chevybowtie72 (see edit history)

All I could tell you honestly is I know some SS models had cloth seats and I assume they were non power.

Now my 03 SS and 04,05 Dmax are all LT models and came with power seats, as fare the passenger seat I believe it has lumbar setrings.

It is possible that your truck came with cloth seats from the factory and the last owner upgraded.

All I could tell you honestly is I know some SS models had cloth seats and I assume they were non power.

Now my 03 SS and 04,05 Dmax are all LT models and came with power seats, as fare the passenger seat I believe it has lumbar setrings.

It is possible that your truck came with cloth seats from the factory and the last owner upgraded.

The back is vinyl so I think they where vinyl from the factory. Plus i have the digital climate control which the cloth truck had manual. That powered passenger lumbar is the kicker. Im thinking that only came in the higher end models. The other same seats only had powered frontal and back motion.

I'm not sure what year your truck is, but I believe they only offered cloth seats in 2006 and 2007. As far as confirming what the seat actually is, you're probably only going to be able to tell by looking at the tag part number which is on the bottom of the seat. You might see it up under there, but if not, it's pretty easy to pull the seat out and flip it upside down for a peek. 2 bolts, 2 nuts and a plug to get it out. At least then you can be sure what you are working with.

Well wouldnt u know it. That tag was there. Looks like from 05 i guess from the month even though it was made in 04. That is right around when gm transition into the next year. The part number is 15192249. From a crew cab passenger. T

post-10911-0-67215600-1437325133_thumb.jpg

The trucks that have the "sensing" front seat have a bladder type sensor in the seat bottom. This is what detects the weight of front passenger. If the person is too light like a small child or light woman it disables the passenger airbag. Your seat because it was switched from a 2500 crew doesn't have this sensor. It was mandated by government due to small people aka children being decapitated due to air bag force. The heavy trucks 2500 and above were exempt at the time because they were considered heavy duty vehicles. The only way to fix will be to try and add the seat bottom sensor or find correct seat. My guess and it's a total guess was your truck ever stolen before you got it? Typically only time seats are changed is when a thief liberates the old ones......

I would just find a pair of front seats with compatible year and config of truck.

U would think that would be easier said then done but finding a parting out SS where i live is next to impossible. I think the route of putting a new switch and module in would be the best option. That is what the gm dealer wanted to do for the previous owner. I just did not know if the gm dealer knew that these where not the original seats. I think i still have that invoice of what they wanted to put in the truck. Also thanks to all the above that have helped. You guys have narrowed it down fast. Thanks.

U would think that would be easier said then done but finding a parting out SS where i live is next to impossible. I think the route of putting a new switch and module in would be the best option. That is what the gm dealer wanted to do for the previous owner. I just did not know if the gm dealer knew that these where not the original seats. I think i still have that invoice of what they wanted to put in the truck. Also thanks to all the above that have helped. You guys have narrowed it down fast. Thanks.

You won't find a SS in a wrecking yard they didn't make a ton of them. GM did make MILLIONS of other trucks that should have the seat you need. I would think any LT pickup or Tahoe, suburban or GMC equivalent would have what you need. Heck out trucks started out as LT's and just got the cladding..... Edited by EXGM (see edit history)