Ipod Stereo cord question

Diamondss

I had a friend who had an Ipod setup in his Silverado where he could plug an Ipod 4 into his factory head unit and use his steering wheel controls to change songs, volume, etc. He sold the truck and I bought the cords off of him and he installed them with me in his garage. It was something to do with the head unit thinking the Ipod was an XM satellite signal or something but this was 6 years ago and to be honest I can't remember the particulars. To anyone who has this setup in their truck, if I tear my dash apart will I be able to eventually get to a USB port that the Ipod cord connects to so I could put a USB jack somewhere like in my console and then use a thumb drive to play songs like in the GMT900 trucks? Even just so I can use different Ipod cords because now my 6+ doesn't plug into the truck anymore.

Generally, the wire that your 30 pin iPod connector connects directly to, has a transitional module that's compatable to the head unit. Usually there isn't a USB connection on the other end of the 30 pin cable. Also, I personally have never heard any USB on a head unit that could take a thumb drive loaded with mp3's let alone AAC.

I'd recommend updating the head unit all together. I have a Pioneer Z130BT. iPods plug into it with additional cables proprietary to the headunit of course. Bluetooth connections give me full functionality regardless phone manufacturer.

Edited by A_FuriouSS (see edit history)