A/C Controls (why is there a difference?)

SS ORTHO

I was looking at some SS's on Ebay and noticed in the pictures that some of them

have different A/C controls. Mine in my SS has the two switches in the middle that

slide up and down to control the temp of the air. There is a digital display that

shows the actual temp. It is the same as the controls in the Cadillac Escalade.

Does anyone know why there is a difference in what they put in the SS Trucks?

I would like to have the one with the digital display. Does any one know the

part number for that one? I think you could just swap them out.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might give you a better idea of what they look like.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...&st=0#entry4385

The automatic one is an extra option with an MSRP of $195.00. I am not sure if you can simply swap them out. I don't think you can though. I am not exactly sure how it works to detect temperature automatically. Hopefully someone else can elaborate on this!

Justin :chevy:

I have what they call the "manual" control in mine too. I called the dealer to see if the module could just be switched out for the "auto" module. They told me there are about four more parts in the dash that would have to be changed out. It sounded very expensive to me, alot more than $195 it would have been for the option when the truck was built. They didn't give me an exact price, but it sounds like most of the system would have to be replaced. I have the auto controls in my wife's Jeep. To tell you the truth, as far as temperature contol goes the manual is just fine, especially where you are still able to have different temperature air for each side. I also like the manual control of the fan to keep it a constant speed. But the fact that I don't have the digital read out makes me wish I had the auto. It looks better. Oh, well, you just can't have everything or life would become pretty boring. I've decided I can live with it. I actually didn't know it could be ordered with the "auto". I was perfectly happy with what I had until I found out. Then I was pissed. :fume: You'd think it would be standard with the package. Oh well.

• 1 month later...

For the money I also think the auto climate controls should be standard. com'n you are spending 40grand on a pick-up truck that already has the leather, heated seats, and a great stereo system, can't GM just throw that in to the package deal-- looks a hell of alot better. :thumbs::thumbs:

What really pisses you off is the SS is based on the LT. The LT comes with the automatic controls as standard equipment. Also the Onstar is standard on the LT. I think that if anyone has access to a late model junkyard that you could get the automatic controls out of a 2002 and later Avalanche. I do not have the automatic controls either and my wife reminds me quite often that I should have had it.

If anyone switches from manual dual zone to auto dual zone, please share what it cost :cheers: I called the dealer where I purchased my SS and he called back later and my daughter took the call. I don't know if she heard him correctly or not but she said the Chevy Dealership was pricing the switch at $2000.00 :crazy: Surely, it can be done for much less than this................or I will definitely stay manual :thumbs::thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone switches from manual dual zone to auto dual zone, please share what it cost :cheers:  I called the dealer where I purchased my SS and he called back later and my daughter took the call. I don't know if she heard him correctly or not but she said the Chevy Dealership was pricing the switch at $2000.00 :crazy: Surely, it can be done for much less than this................or I will definitely stay manual :thumbs:  :thumbs:

I thought about doing this swap on my 03 Silverado but it looks to be a lot of work Not just the main face plate/controls, but the auto has a little fan above the driver that senses temp, another temp sensor somewhere and something else I am forgetting, a lot of work, and some say the auto is lame cause it randomly turns the a/c compressor on and off, I wanted it but now like the manual control I have that will no doubt be more robust in the long run.

I have the manual controls and was hoping the "swap out" would be easier myself. Looks like I'll be sticking with the knobs and levers! When I push the recirculate button, I get a whistle-like wind noise that sounds like a window is cracked, but coming from the dash. The a/c compressor also comes on when the recirc button is pushed, even if the a/c button is not activated. :shakehead: Anyone else have these issues?

The only issue I have with the manual "heat" control is on the passenger side sometimes when the heat is on (all the way up) and you slide the bar (all the way down) the heat will not cut off. :crazy: Hot air keeps coming out of the passenger vent. :crazy: When this happens the only way I have found to remedy this is to cut the truck off and crank the truck again :crazy: Anyone else have this problem???? This has never happened on the drivers side controls :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Were you asking me?

I got it in pretty good shape, awesome price for the condition. I got a partial wiring diagram and I figured out how to get power to it, so I was able to determine that it works (or seems to). I figured out illumination by disassembling it and tracing the wires.

I need to get a better wiring diagram though. Some things probably won't work like the sunload sensor. On the 01-02 models, it's a separate sensor directly connected to the climate control unit. On 03's, it's the same as the headlight sensor, connected to the BCM and the BCM tells the climate control unit how much sun it's seeing. Also the AC Compressor control could be a problem. 01-02 climate control is directly connected to the AC compressor request. 03 tells the PCM to enable the compressor via Class 2 serial data bus. The communication with the BCM/PCM will be the major hurdles. Everything else is relatively simple, just wiring. The temperature sensors and servos are directly wired to the climate control unit, and the 01-02 servos are pretty much the same as the 03 except for lacking the passenger side temperature servo.

Archived