A/C Controls (why is there a difference?)

SS ORTHO

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question on the dual control A/C units. When I have the system off I get outside air at my feet. When I start the fan and set the controls so air also comes out of the top vents it feels very cool, like the A/C is on. I live in Phx and the outside air is NOT that cool in June around here. Assuming I am getting A/C air is there a way to just get outside air in the top vents? Thanks

I have a question on the dual control A/C units. When I have the system off I get outside air at my feet. When I start the fan and set the controls so air also comes out of the top vents it feels very cool, like the A/C is on. I live in Phx and the outside air is NOT that cool in June around here. Assuming I am getting A/C air is there a way to just get outside air in the top vents? Thanks

I seem to recall reading in the manual that if the system is turned off, air still "flows through" when the truck is in motion.

I am curious about how to get just "vent air" as well.

:uhoh: Sorry, I don't have much to offer 'cause I have the manuals...but Ill trade ya. Of note, I get vent air by turning off the a/c button and turning on the fan. The compressor comes on if I push the recirculate button too, even if the a/c button is not activated. Don't quite understand why.

Lee,

If you are in Auto, just push the emblem that has the snowflake on it. What will pop up on the screen is the same emblem with a diagonal line appearing through it, meaning no A/C. Doesn't make sense, but it works.

The compressor comes on if I push the recirculate button too, even if the a/c button is not activated.

Yep, the a/c compressor is supposed to come on when recirculation is enabled (Owner Manual pg. 3-22). I'm not sure why, but this is true on a lot of cars & trucks I've driven. Strangely, in Europe I recall having a rental car (believe it was an Audi) which you could use recirculation with or without the compressor on.

Let me get this straight. My system is off. The recirculate button is set to outside air. I want outside air to go to the upper vents as well as the lower vents so I make that adjustment with the appropriate button, hit the fan speed control then the a/c control. At that point the a/c snowflake will come on the display with a line through it? Is that right? Jesus, could GM have made it any more complicated just to get some fresh air to the upper vents? :puke:

Thanks guys :thumbs:

Let me get this straight. My system is off. The recirculate button is set to outside air. I want outside air to go to the upper vents as well as the lower vents so I make that adjustment with the appropriate button, hit the fan speed control then the a/c control. At that point the a/c snowflake will come on the display with a line through it?  Is that right?  Jesus, could GM have made it any more complicated just to get some fresh air to the upper vents?   :puke:

Thanks guys  :thumbs:

:jester: You forgot the critical step where you have to stand on your head while rubbing your belly!

I do the same, and usually have the windows down. I notice it when I have passengers and have to pretend to act civilized. You know... roll up the windows (girls and their hair), turn down the radio (avoid shouting matches and attempt conversation), etc.

Kinda sounds like the outside air vent is not closing all the way. It happens even if I turn the fan all the way off, I probably just need to take it to the dealer and have 'em take a look at it. I just HATE to do that with the truck over such a minor problem, you never know who is going to "need" to test drive to "recreate" the problem. I just don't like the idea of a technician raggin' on my truck, not that they all do, I just know it has to be tempting. ;)

I have had 3 different silverados and the whistle was on all but this one. It came from the passenger windows. They do not seal 100%. The inside pressure builds up and goes out through the rear windows. It is funny, on my last one, It did it out of the right passenger until the kids opened up the left one, then it was both. I have ordered my kids not to open the rear windows on the SS!!! Prolly has nothing to do with it, but in my mind it does. As a matter of fact the 99 had a recall and I had the rear windows replaced, it cut down on it some but not all together.

On another note, I also have a trailblazer with the automatic controls and have had it at the dealership twice within 7 months to replace some switch (think hi/lo pressure???) that made the a/c work sporatically even though it was set to 60. They said it was a problem with the automatic controls and the first SS they got in had to be replaced before it left the lot. Something to keep an eye on. Here in south GA you notice if the ac stops working immediately!!!!

Archived