She Ain't Pretty She Just Looks That Way

flingwing

So, needed to purchase a truck for the Winter, shopped around and came across a Blue 2003 Silverado SS one owner approx 210 000km. Truck drove well, no leaks, all switches and buttons worked, heater, AC, Seats etc but had a couple of issues that at the time didn't seem major (2 X Air Bag Sensors, 1 X ABS Sensor) plus I figured when I had it safetied they would find a couple more things which I budgeted for. Now I know I broke my cardinal rule with respect to purchasing a vehicle and not getting a full inspection before hand but simply events conspired against me and some poor judgement (ok maybe more than "some").

So the Garage did find a few more things. Idler Arm, Pitman Arm, Lwr Ball Joint, Emergency Brake, Manifold Exhaust Leak (Previous Owner was smart and had the truck warmed up when I showed up to inspect and then purchase so leak had closed and I never use the Emergency Brake so didn't even think to check it). Plus on the Drive home (Approx 200km from purchase location) I had the dreaded "Reduced Pwr" warning, which I believe I've sorted by cleaning and tightening a gnd wire.

Anyway the mechanical stuff is easy and I can do most of it if needed. It is the rest that the Garage found. Cab Corners and Door Sills are shot and the cross member just fwd of the fuel tank (round tube) has the mounting plates on the frame starting to rust through. That is not an easy or cheap fix. All needs to be done before it can be safetied. Added bonus since that is going to take a little time I got to purchase Winter Tires for my 96 Impala SS.

If I sell the truck as is, where is, I take a hit and still have to get another truck. So have chosen to fix and hopefully total outlay of cash will be about the same if I sell and purchase another. So at the moment I have a very nice looking Lawn Ornament.

By the way I'm living the song

post-27735-0-54021800-1445906535_thumb.jpg

So question what is the best way to source part numbers for the stuff I need? Bring the list to the Dealer or is there and online source I can find. Parts Dealer I get my parts from (2koolperformance) needs OEM or Aftermarket Part number to order. Just an aside the Chev Dealer wants $238.00 Cdn for each Air bag sensor. That is not going to happen

Edited by flingwing (see edit history)

I would take pictures of what you need to replace and throw a thread in the for sale section as WTB (want to buy) you will get it cheaper here than any dealer.

Specify what you mean by cab corners, and door sills, are you talking metal corners and rockers or the plastic cladding?

Thanks, I'll look at posting in the Wanted forum.

It's the metal cab corners and rockers that are shot.

Kind of figured it would be about the amount your mentioned abss_2003. I've got a body guy who also does work in his backyard shop. Hoping he'll let me do the grunt work (De-scaling, grinding, cutting etc) to bring the price down a bit.