XM antenna questions

fastbee

I'm going to replace my old radio (Pioneer double din) with a newer model that has some better features. One thing I'm thinking of doing is going to XM radio. My truck already has XM antenna and factory tuner. My antenna is the dual lead type and I can seem to find any way to turn that into a single lead that the newer sat radio tuners use. I've saw where folks have just used one of the leads, but that means picking between satellite and terrestrial signals and possible signal loss. I've also read where people have replaced the antenna with the newer style stock ones. My truck has had some paint work done on the roof from the PO to correct hail damage. If I remove the current antenna the newer one will have to be the same or larger to cover any imperfections. I suppose I could use the antenna that comes with the tuner but am not sure about where to put it. If I installed it on the dash right against the glass would it work as well as outside the vehicle? Has anyone mounted it near the third brake light and ran the wire in the cab there? This project might be more effort than it's worth, just looking for some ideas.

I wouldn't touch the third brake light. Sounds like a water leak waiting to happen. I have mounted xm radio antenna on the dash of several vehicles and it works flawless about 98% of the time. I did this back in the day on a classic work truck I had when I was still with generous mother. I just ran antenna through defroster vent and routed back to stock radio. It was a bare bones 2500 reg can work truck. I'm not sure if someone makes an adapter from factory to aftermarket head unit. I'm sure there is just google it.

I've mounted GPS antennas there before and they all worked fine, I'm guessing the sat radio antennas wouldn't be any different. I really didn't want to do the brake light unless someone could give a way to keep the leaks out. If I go the SiriusXM route, I think I'll just mount the antenna on the dash and see how it works.