Trans and Transfer Case Different Fluids?

So I replaced the chain on my transfer case and installed a case saver over the weekend, and ill say this, I was a little afraid to do it at first but for the most part it was a success.

My question is, are the T-case and Tranny fluids both different?

As in, when I check my transmission fluid level, is it defferent than the T-case fluid level?

I got everything back and running, but I didn't add any fluids directly to the T-case, but ive been reading around and it sounds like I might need to.

Can someone give me the benefit of the doubt on this?

Thanks!

Yes, the transmission and transfer case have separated fluids for each unit. Id suggest draining out the remainder of the fluid left in the transfer case and filling it back up with fresh fluid. Some will suggest the GM auto trac fluid, some will say use Dex III transmission fluid. After a lot of research and talking to transmission builders and GM techs, Dex III is what needs to go back in it. The Auto trac fluid was designed for the auto 4x4 transfer cases, not the full time all wheel drive cases. I ran Dex III in mine for 75k+ miles after I bought the truck and had zero issues with the fluid. And what I drained out of it when I bought the truck was also plain transmission fluid. Just don't use Dex VI or a synthetic fluid. Plain old Dex III is what you need sir.

You didn't it dry did you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:(

Added some Dex III ATF, and she was driving smooth as butter, once I got home realized there was ATF splattered all under the truck.

Spoke to Bryan (ThickCajun) on the phone, and we think it might be a hose I forgot to connect on the T-case.

Im hoping its that, and if so, im thinking that's what caused my T-case to go out in the first place.

:(

Added some Dex III ATF, and she was driving smooth as butter, once I got home realized there was ATF splattered all under the truck.

Spoke to Bryan (ThickCajun) on the phone, and we think it might be a hose I forgot to connect on the T-case.

Im hoping its that, and if so, im thinking that's what caused my T-case to go out in the first place.

The hose is your transfer case vent tube.

Right.

Any chance that, that could be the reason im spitting fluid all over the underside of my pickup?

I doubt it. You need to follow to make sure the hose is routed correctly should run up your firewall, It will have a plastic cap looking thing which is the actual vent. Did you make sure to put a gasket between the t-case and trans? I would also check and or replace the t-case input seal... a very common failure point. The trans is under pressure and it will overfill the t-case. Also did you inspect case to make sure there were no pin holes? They are also known for wearing pin holes in the case and then fluid leaking out. Also what did you use to seal the halves together? I like using GM anaerobic sealer, its what your "supposed" to use... its expensive for a tube but it is the best in my opinion. Others may say RTV or whatever is ok but I disagree...

Put the gasket between trans and t-case.

The leak seems to be coming from where the t-case and rear driveshaft connect.

Ive checked all my seals and theyre good, even if it was, it wouldn't cause that large amount of fluid to spray out.

Im really hoping I can figure this thing out, gonna check out that input seal you mentioned.

The tranny should be coming down again in a couple weeks when I install my stall, so im not to worried.

Biggest thing is, the truck doesn't leak anything, until I drive it and stop somewhere, that I see it dripping from wherever it escaped.

Other than that I don't get any leakage.

Edited by kaze_v8 (see edit history)

Put the gasket between trans and t-case.

The leak seems to be coming from where the t-case and rear driveshaft connect.

Ive checked all my seals and theyre good, even if it was, it wouldn't cause that large amount of fluid to spray out.

Im really hoping I can figure this thing out, gonna check out that input seal you mentioned.

The tranny should be coming down again in a couple weeks when I install my stall, so im not to worried.

Biggest thing is, the truck doesn't leak anything, until I drive it and stop somewhere, that I see it dripping from wherever it escaped.

Other than that I don't get any leakage.

In order to inspect (and I would just replace) the seal you need to separate the t-case from the trans. If you trans fluid level goes down and your t-case over fills that is your problem.