Door squeak! Help!

mctwist77

So, I'm getting a squeak from my passenger side door. It tends to squeak over random bumps and random turns. It lasts about 1 second then its silent. When I open the passenger door I can hear the squeak as I pull the handle and the door to open it. I thought the squeak was coming from the mechanism that latches on the door so I greased it but it didn't help (I'm not talking about the striker bolts, I'm referring the the actual plastic mechanism that moves when you use the door handle). Does anyone have any idea where it could be coming from?

It may be your door seals actually. Back in the day when the 07 trucks came out GM issued a tsb for a creaking / squeaking noise. The fix was to "lube" the weather stripping. They ended up actually designing a new seal. On yours I could take a clean rag that is damp and wipe all the seals down. I would start with that first....

The cause... Dirt getting on the seal and rubbing on the body as it flexes as you make turn typically at slow speeds.

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

A little wipe down with WD-40 will also do it. It also keeps your doors from freezing shut(which I'm sure is a huge concern for you southern boys). Maybe try a little grease on the check straps. The rear doors on my denali never got used, and sounded like haunted house doors, and a good greasing fixed them right up.

A little wipe down with WD-40 will also do it. It also keeps your doors from freezing shut(which I'm sure is a huge concern for you southern boys). Maybe try a little grease on the check straps. The rear doors on my denali never got used, and sounded like haunted house doors, and a good greasing fixed them right up.

May have to try this. Mine has been squakin' alot lately.

Silicon spray doesn't stay greasy... I would shy away from WD40... while it might be a mechanic in a can its a petroleum product and I would worry about breaking down the rubber.... GM also makes a weatherstrip lube if you want to get real fancy..

Update! I wiped all the seals clean and the noise is still there. I also took a screwdriver and used it to simulate the door mechanism closing. After doing this the squeak is still there and it doesnt sound like it's coming from the mechanism as I thought. Also I discovered that if I jerk the truck to the left while driving I get the squeak from my passenger door. So basically, when I turn like the I am assuming the doors are moving outward very slightly causing the squeak. I guess the next step will be to use some lube.

Holy hell! The GM weatherstrip lube is $61 on amazon. Screw that, I should just use some KY jelly

I lube the hinge pins and all associated hardware, (The "Open stop limiter), with white lithium. (Sounds to me like this might be your squeak source). Check your hinge pins for wear. It's common although the driver side usually give out first.

I treat the weatherstrip with dielectric grease. (Dries / soaks in quick, no greasy mess).

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)