Transmission issue and question..

Hi guys,

I don't post on here much, but I have had issues with my transmission in my truck and it has even gone through 3 rebuilds. My issue and question is... Is it normal for 3rd and 4th bands to go out more often than not?? The transmission is pretty much stock internals and at one point and a shift kit installed, when I purchased the truck it was already installed but not sure if the transmission mechanic put it back in each time it was rebuilt. Each time I had the transmission rebuilt it is due to losing 3rd and 4th in drive and basically all I have to drive the truck is 1st and 2nd gear. I know heat is a major killer for transmissions and I know there is an upgraded transmission cooler install but not sure what kind or model. Am I stuck on what other options could be done and it is a headache because the truck is mainly a pleasure vehicle now and gets driven every so often but after this rebuild it is getting to a point that I just want to sell the truck after the rebuild is done. Any advice is much appreciated. (NOTE: I've taken it to the same mechanic each time)

Definitely time for a new mechanic!! The transmission in our truck are certainly a weak link but your 3-4 trouble is excessive.

Best luck on rebuild #4.

Here's the trans cooler many on this site prefer.

http://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=OPTI&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=TRUCOOL&Product_Code=LNG-47391

Your trans guy should know this but is he clearing the TAP cells after he rebuilds it? Simply disconnecting the battery will not do it. You need to do with a scan tool, I know you can do with a tech 2 but not sure if others will work. I have my own tech 2 so that's what I always have used.

The 3/4 clutches are weaker than the rest but there are upgrades on the market. If your guy isn't doing this then he is selling you short knowing you'll be back. Any builder knows the weak points in a 700R4/4L60/4L60E/4L65E (all the same family) and should at least offer you the option of addressing them to ensure reliability. Hardened sun shell, extra 3/4 clutches, performance servos, etc. It doesn't cost much more to make it stronger than stock.

Richard