Best break pads?

edgarss44

Hello everyone! My truck is in need of some new break pads up front and I'm wondering what pads are best? And from where? Looking for OE replacement not aftermarket stuff! Like from auto parts stores! Let me know what you guys think! And why? Thanks!!

I'm Don't know much about break pads..... I can tell you which "brake" pad is best though IMHO. On the 2006 up trucks with the twin piston GM used PBR brake pads. I bought mine from Rock Auto when I did my pads last year. They sell AC delco stuff which is OE. From what I find their prices usually run cost plus 10% which is about as good as your gonna find.... Years ago that's the deal I got when I worked at a dealer.

With brakes you get what you pay for. I work for a Truck OEM and I manage brake products. Typically O.E friction is your best balance between wear and performance. Some stuff is super aggressive and will wear the rotor or drum excessively. On the other end of the spectrum the stuff is super soft has lots of dust and wear prematurely.

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

I picked up my last set from amazon. ACDelco. Seems like they ran about $40, but its been a minute. Actually needing to buy new brakes for the 93, thanks for the reminder.

"Best" is subjective. Lots of different things a brake pad can be best at, but pretty much none of them can be best at all things at once - you gotta choose.

I like ceramics for the lack of dust. They may not bite as well as the seriously aggressive semi-metallic pads out there, but if you buy good ones they will stop very well, and won't dust up your wheels. They're generally very quiet during regular operation, too. I've got Wagner Thermoquiet ceramics on both my SRT8's and have a set ready to go on the SS as soon as I tear into it. On the SRT8's, they do squeal REALLY loud the first stop or two as I pull the cold car out of the driveway, but after that they are quiet.

Richard

Thanks for all the good info guys! My local Napa isn't doing to good and I kinda want to buy from them! Does Napa sell good break pads? Or should I go elsewhere?

Oh yeah! I'm thinking ceramic pads!

So are Napa ceramic pads good? Or are the ones at another parts store better?

You'll have to let us know. Nobody here mentioned 'em so sounds like you'll be the first, here anyway. No telling who makes them for NAPA. They are almost surely some major brand that private-labeled them.

Richard