WTB OEM headlights and fog lights

03SSBoy

bought some oe like off ebay and light output was horrible and parking lights wouldn't stay on. need some help looking for some oem ones. checked gmpartsdirect and theyre asking $130 for one headlight

There is a reason the OE cost co much... you get the quality. I would call around you and find some used ones at a wrecking yard close to you. Heck you might even find a u-pull it type place with them and it would be a whole lot cheaper....

I went through this a little while ago although I passed on the "Like OEM lights". I went to the dealer first and got part #'s then went to GM Parts Direct.

Dealer price per headlight was $188.35 per side and DRL's were $57.00 per side.

GM Parts Direct was $131.09 per side for headlights and $39.25 per side for DRL.

Seams like every post you read about aftermarket lamps goes like "They are OK except for".......

Like Matt said, "You get what you pay for".

Craiglist should be full of them from the lift kit crowd putting in those led-halo-blind-oncoming-traffic headlights and tossing the stockers.

Hahahaha..... So true!

There is a reason the OE cost co much... you get the quality. I would call around you and find some used ones at a wrecking yard close to you. Heck you might even find a u-pull it type place with them and it would be a whole lot cheaper....

I went through this a little while ago although I passed on the "Like OEM lights". I went to the dealer first and got part #'s then went to GM Parts Direct.

Dealer price per headlight was $188.35 per side and DRL's were $57.00 per side.

GM Parts Direct was $131.09 per side for headlights and $39.25 per side for DRL.

Seams like every post you read about aftermarket lamps goes like "They are OK except for".......

Like Matt said, "You get what you pay for".

you guys have a point. im returning the ebay ones and hopefully I can find some really clean ones at a junkyard

Figuring the newest OEM's you're likely to find in the junkyard are already nearly 10 years old or older...not very good prospects. If they do look to be in good shape, chances are they are already aftermarket. ;)

Sometimes you gotta just spend the money on OEM.

I bought a bunch of stuff off eBay from VIPMOTOZ. I've had kind of 50/50 luck with that vendor. The LED tails and CHMSL I got from them are nice. The headlights are the clear reflector style instead of amber, and that's why I bought them instead of OEM. They fit OK but have a smoky film inside the lens, poor QC, someone wiped the lens before assembly and left funk in it. The clear reflector signal lenses look fine but same as the ones you described - they pop out too easily. Part of it is poor quality, the other part is that it's just a piss poor design by GM that the lenses aren't secured better. I pretty much solved that problem with a rig job, jamming a screw lengthwise into the clip part to force it to spread out a small amount more.

Richard

I put zipties lol I had black reflectors and I liked it but I like it more now with the ambers but youre right there are a lot of headlights for sale on craigslist and they are all hazey and I don't want to deal with that

The new stuff from GM is now made in China.

While the look like the USA made ones I have, The chrome inside looks really poor. Just an FYI...

Yep, when these trucks were new Guide was a division of GM. It got closed down as part of the "restructuring".....they resourced a lot of parts to China. When they closed Guide down I think they just moved some of the older tooling to a China vendor. My dad picked up some turn lamps for his 91 Camaro he was restoring. The originals were USA guide the "replacement's" were made in China. The quality seemed about the same, didn't notice much difference... I have not seen a new GM 800 lamp to compare though....

http://www.autonews.com/article/20070205/SUB/70130044/gm-doles-out-lighting-business

The new stuff from GM is now made in China.

While the look like the USA made ones I have, The chrome inside looks really poor. Just an FYI...

Just another reason it makes you feel great as a taxpayer that helped bail out the auto industry, isn't it?

Richard

Maybe give this place a try:

http://www.schramauto.com/

They used to buy all the GM damaged in transit and crash test vehicles (at least they used to when I worked in Michigan). They have super low mile stuff... its worth a shot.

Thanks for the link Matt. That place looks like good resource :thumbsup: