I finally did my tune up

EXGM

While I was off last week I finally got around to doing a tume up on the 'ol SS. While I only have 58k and truck ran fine I did a tune up anyways. Plugs looked good and I probably could have gotten away with still using them. I check the gap and they were still pretty close to spec. I always thought the wires might be tired after 10 years and I was right. Not in terrible shape but truck runs a lot smoother now and generally seems happier. I used to have more of a "heartbeat " at a stop light but now smooth as glass at idle. I took the opportunity while I had wires off to replace my valve cover gaskets as they were starting to leak. I steam cleaned the engine so it looks new again..... Lol.

Yeah I'm always real careful to avoid electrical connectors and such. I did get some water in my alternator and it was screaming for a little bit... I was a little worried but it was fine after a minute of running. Lol

I recentley power washed the motor as well. Funny when I got the truck. I thought the valve covers came black. Once I washed the engine I saw they were aluminum colored. The original owner didn't believe in washing motors.

Due to potential for problems, I generally only wash 'em if I'm getting ready to do some seriously involved engine work. If they are getting really nasty then there's usually some problem that needs to be addressed.

Long gone are the days you could just pull up in the car wash bay and wrap a plastic sack around the carburetor and go to town. :D

Richard

I recentley power washed the motor as well. Funny when I got the truck. I thought the valve covers came black. Once I washed the engine I saw they were aluminum colored. The original owner didn't believe in washing motors.

You probably have a leaking valve cover... cause that's what I had going on. Well not anymore as I did the valve covers... it was an easy job.

Nice! Did you go ac Delco again? Or aftermarket parts?

I used AC Delco for the plugs and valve cover gaskets. For the wires I bought Delphi wires. Delphi made the original wires and I couldn't justify double the money (literally) for Delco wires. I picked up everything from Rock Auto.

I used AC Delco for the plugs and valve cover gaskets. For the wires I bought Delphi wires. Delphi made the original wires and I couldn't justify double the money (literally) for Delco wires. I picked up everything from Rock Auto.

Cool man! It's funny how changing plugs and wires makes the truck feel completely different!