Stupid question about the SS dash insert

someotherguy

The logo on the dash...I know I can buy the insert new, but it seems it's missing the inserts for the letters, just has SS molded into the plastic but it's all one color and seems to be an indentation vs. raised lettering, leading me to believe the letters are separate pieces that you stick onto the insert.

What about the silver SS letters? Available separately? Part #?

Thanks,

Richard

I don't think they were ever available separately(at least not with a part number). The ones on eBay are GM overstock from years ago, that I think gm just dumped w/o add the stainless to them. I thought i remember reading on here long ago about someone with access to a waterjet cutting some out of stainless, but I cant find it.

I had found that post; it's about 5 or 6 years old. Guy was custom cutting stainless letters and installing them onto the inserts. It seemed he had faded out of contact quite a while back; he also had a bunch of SS-related parts for sale, but I'm assuming all sold out long ago as he was no longer responding.

Richard

Nope...my ISS has the correct Intimidator SS emblem for the dash. And just like the SS letters, the Intimidator part of the emblem has an indentation on the insert that it fits into.

It's just that I may need to source a regular SS insert, too. Getting the "blank" one with just the SS indentations off eBay isn't gonna cut it. :(

Richard

This piece can be had from eBay, just no silver letters added to it.

ss-15178169.jpg

But in the end it turns out I don't need the thing anyway; the seller had the correct SS insert for the dash and swapped out the one that was in it. Which sadly was an Intimidator insert, but hey; it's got the correct one in it now. I know that Intimidator one is much harder to find but since the truck is a regular SS it's not like I could lay any claim to it. ;)

Richard

When I was going to get one of the ebay ones, I was just going to use bare metal foil (used on model cars to simulate stainless/chrome trim) and use that on the letters. I think it would look fine and 99.9% of the people that saw it, wouldn't be able to tell the difference.