CARB California Catalytic Converter

tdpusher

HI! I'd like some help on finding a CARB California cat converter for my 2005 Silverado SS. 1st owner, first time having to replace this part due to an upcoming registration mandated smog check. If you have experience with these (specifically the left side, under passenger floorboard) having been required to replaced them personally or just personal knowledge, please share. The part # that I came up with for a dual cat setup with CARB compliance is 15077752 which goes for about 950$ through the dealers here in Northern California. Thanks for the input

The factory "Y" pipe comes with both cats. GM doesn't sell a separate cat so you'll I would just goto an exhaust shop in your area. They should be able to sell you just the one side you need and can chop out the old and weld in a new one....

Actually all the GM dealers that I checked with have the same OE Cat only, it's runs approx $950. I saw an OE cat from one of this forums advertisers for about $100 less. I'm more interested in one's like the magnaflow 62246973 for about $150 and if anybody has run these as a replacement to pass smog, either diy installed or at a muffler shop, thanks

Edited by tdpusher (see edit history)

The SS trucks have true dual and don't use a Y like a normal Silverado

The Cali emission ones do. It's kind of a cross between a regular silverado one and an ss. I know some salvage yards are selling refurbished/recertified cats, but I don't know what the process involves. Did you fail a sniff test? Or you just getting the"system inefficiency" code? Edited by eberhama (see edit history)

The Cali emission ones do. It's kind of a cross between a regular silverado one and an ss.

No they do not. I live in CA and work on these regularly. I just sold mine to Someotherguy. I also have another members truck in my shop.

The VHO and the V Max is the same way.

Now the cats used are differnt between the 49 state federal and the CA 50 state trucks.

Also re certified catalytic converters are illegal here in CA. They must also be the correct catalytic convertors or correct replacements.

That being said. They no longer test tail pipe emissions on these. It's just a plug in obd test along with a visual check...

The SS trucks have true dual and don't use a Y like a normal Silverado.

I have heard the magnaflow does not last as long as the OEM. The ones I have seen for other applications don't have the quality of the OEM either.

Hugh. Guess I've never looked close enough. I gotta look tomorrow. I always worked on 5.3s with the y and assumed they were all the same. Most aftermarket cats aren't loaded with as much precious metal as the OE ones. That's why they don't last as long.... you get what you pay for.

Yeah, I thought that was the difference...I was way off. I was looking at pics for the 5.3. oops

I'm coming up with 10395213 & 10395214 for the NU4 California emission trucks. Good news is I found them as low as $525, bad news is that's per side.

Yep. Cali is a sonofabitch when it comes to cat replacement. Which seems kind of self-defeating...I mean I get it, it's their thing to feel like they need stricter emissions regulations than the rest of us, but when you make it prohibitively expensive to fix the emissions system because your one-off-certified replacement parts cost a fortune???

Richard

Yep. Cali is a sonofabitch when it comes to cat replacement. Which seems kind of self-defeating...I mean I get it, it's their thing to feel like they need stricter emissions regulations than the rest of us, but when you make it prohibitively expensive to fix the emissions system because your one-off-certified replacement parts cost a fortune???

Richard

More states than you think use CA emissions. Oregon and Washington and most neighboring states to California use the same emissions. Edited by EXGM (see edit history)