Emissions in NJ

evildcustoms

Well i would like to pick someones brain here who is hopefully from NJ or has dealt with emissions in their state.

Took my truck in for inspection a couple weeks ago after replacing my MAF and failed (figured i didn't drive it enough since i only drive the truck on the weekends for the most part)

My inspection paper reads

Overall Readiness Result : Fail

Catalytic Converters: Not ready

Evaporative System: Not ready

Luckily my buddy let me use his modis, and after putting as many miles as i could in a couple weeks (Drove to LI for a pool table :) ) Under generic tests it reads the following;

Catalyst: Test Complete

Evaporative System: Not complete

I did some research on here and i did the eval procedure a couple times with no result. Also i have no codes whatsoever.

So my questions is this to hopefully someone from NJ. My buddy told me that one system can be not ready and it will pass. So the reason i failed before is because catalyst wasn't ready either. If anyone could let me know if there is some truth to this?

I get one more free inspection before i have to pay someone to inspect it and i would hate to fail again since i know my truck in fine and it should pass.

Edited by evildcustoms (see edit history)

The way the IM flags work are they run under certain conditions. I had a cheat sheet at one time but I've moved so many times over the years I can't remember where I filed it. I did look in some old GM training books and found that test (evap) typically runs with a certain amount of fuel in the tank (3/4 to 1/4 full). Vehicle needs to be in closed loop and engine up to temp. You then typically need to dive for a period of time generally 20-30 minutes, I like to drive at highway speeds. Once all conditions are met it will automatically run the test on its own. Not sure what your fuel level is at so if tank is really full or almost on "E" the test won't run. You can with a tech2 force an in bay test but not sure about other scan tools. For the in bay test again fuel level has to be within range and needs to be in closed loop and engine needs to be at temp. Good luck... go put some miles on her!

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply. I know when i drove to Long Island i had a full tank. I live in the hills so everywhere i go is usually 15-20min minimum but it does contain some hills. The fact that i don't drive it during the week makes me want to drive it more during the weekend anyway. I Normally keep the tank at least half but i will make sure to keep it 3/4 to full for next few rides.

Does anyone know if you can force an in bay test with the snap on modis? if so how to go about doing that.