MPG test

dcairns

Just for fun, I tried observing the speed limits and accelerating slowly on my drive to work. I actually think it might be possible to get the EPA rated 17MPG on pure highway. The instantaneous mileage was dancing around 17MPG and when I got off the freeway I had an average of 16.1. By the time I had finished getting to work it was down to 15.3 thanks to several miles of stop lights and hills, mostly uphill. Funny how the lights are always at the bottom of the hills rather than on the tops. So 15.3 is about 3MPG better than I have been getting, but I don't think I could stand to drive that way all the time :crazy: Felt like I was in a time warp or something. I was driving along with the slower traffic, but it seemed glacial. I had to use the cruise control to keep me from drifting higher than 65 on the freeway. I think the driver and engine were in danger of falling asleep!

Lessons learned:

Keeping the speed down on the highway can help alot on the MPG.

It is amazing how little throttle it takes to keep up with slower traffic in city driving.

It just isn't fun driving slow!!! :devil:

LOL!! :lol: I have yet to stomp on it. I have noticed that when traveling on a major flat road with cruise control on 75mph, the fuel mileage will drop significantly with the windows down and the A/C on compared to the inverse. I know, I know....duh! :crazy: but it is kind of fun watching the fluctuating MPG with different driving styles, weight, and aggressiveness.

That is true here in SoCal too. But I do my commute at 6AM, and even then, traffic can be a bit thick but at least it was steady today. I was driving in the right lanes with the semi trucks (they take up the 3 right lanes out of 5). Going home at 4:30 is just a stop and go mess, takes 2 times as long. :crazy:

I can not get better than 14 mpg at best. :cry: I average 12-13 city and 13-14 highway.

I just took a 1,000mi all highway and cruise control trip at 13.5mpg. If I go over 65mph hour it drops like a rock. I thought with my tonneua cover it would have been better than that.

Anyhow I can't complain, just surprised, my wife's V8 Grand Cherokee (AWD) takes two tank fulls (44 gallaons per 500mi.) to the SS, 1-1/2 tanks (33 gallons per 500mi.). Those Chryslers don't get any milage at all.

:crazy: What is cruise control  :sigh:  in New Jersey it can not be used, to many people!! Bummer  :cry:

I use it... Course I'm in West Jersey....

-Joe

Me too. Northwest New Jersey isn't as bad as people think!

Well I am in TX and even though there are tons of people, we have alot of space to spread out. I wouldn't have it any other way either..but that's just probably because I have lived here all of my life.

what town you in, I'm down here in Hunterdon County.... LOVE IT... GORGEOUS

-Joe

Looks like we have 3 SS's in NJ! :chevy::cheers: Shopman1 is in Morris County - lots of people. Don't forget fo wave when you see me. :seeya:

Hi, i just got my SS like two days ago, and forgat to ask at the dealer what gas type shoud i use, can any one please help me with it? Thanks!

Premium Only :D As another member has stated, "Hey dude it's an SS, fill'er up with the good stuff." Your owners manual addresses the fuel and I believe it says 91 0ctane or higher-------Premium :)

Archived