I need more suspension!

mha

I guess I'm not the typical SS guy. I bought it for the engine and AWD. Contrary to wanting to lower mine, I'd like to improve the ride and need to improve it's trailering. Pulling my boat home at night everybody flashes me thinking I've got my brights on. I really want to keep this power package but I sure do prefer the ride and towing of my Z-Burb. Can I have the best of both worlds and make an addition or change that would improve my ride and trailering?

Not to be an ass, but I think it would have been cheeper to put a S.C. on the Z-Burb than to buy the SSS for the power. I love the ride quality and I will never tow anything with the SSS. That's just me.

Look into helper springs for your towing needs.

All ya need is a helper spring,, Also Called Load assist spring, It sits idle until you load the rear of the truck and then it contacts mounts and helps support the weight, they are in JC whitney catalog for sure, but auto parts stores or Pep boys should have them too. about 120-170$

i'd normally recomend bags, but anytime you're adding spring to haul more load it should tell you that you bought the incorrect truck. aside from the brake proportioning being determined by front/rear ride height, the truck just isn't made for heavy tongue loads....

if you must add more, do it with airbags.

I tow 5,000lbs a few times a year. About 600-650lbs of tongue weight.

I went through a lot of options, because my truck would hang a wheelie when I dropped the trailer on the tongue.

Airbags - Full time type install - the bags ALWAYS need 'some' pressure in them. With a few applications I read about - the truck CANNOT be brought up on a lift without removing the bags, or else they'll tear. Good thing is that they're adjustable.

Helper springs - Another full-time type install. They're always there, and always applying full spring rate.

Overload springs - Our trucks already have them, but by the time the suspension effectively uses them, the front end is already in the air, and the rear end is sagging horribly.

I bought the "Roadmaster Active Suspension". It's two small high tension coil springs that hold the leafs in their natural curved state. They added about 3/4" to the rear ride height. The ride is surprisingly soft, still. It's a bit firmer, but nice and planted. They offer a little sway control, but they don't offer a WHOLE lot as far as payload goes - they're there to help maintain control - not add payload. I installed them when I towed, but recently took them out. (takes 10 minutes to remove, mabe 30 to put them back in)

I have since added the Hotchkis sway bars, so I'm not sure if I'll run the Roadmaster kit when I tow next.

I still needed that added support for the heavy tongue weight, and the only RIGHT way to handle that is with a weight distributing hitch. I went with a Reese 800lb kit. The thing works GREAT.

On a huge side note:

My '02 Avalanche Z71 handled the same trailer just fine with no weight distribution. I think it had the same suspension as your Sub. (1500?). The truck leveled out nice with some forward rake left over, with the full tongue weight on a standard shank type hitch.

I hear the SS is on 1500 series Z71 suspension... but without the factory 2" lift blocks under the coils. Either way, it's a simple leaf spring setup. If you were looking to make the SS a very frequent tow vehicle, I'd maybe look into installing these 2" lift blocks (with longer U bolts), to get back that added ride height out of the rear. That would level out MY truck pretty nice.

I still stand by the thought that the best way to handle a sagging rear of a tow vehicle is weight distribution...

Archived