McGaughy kit

evandostert

I am waiting my lowering kit to come in the mail. Should i buy new ball joints. How do you cut down the stock ones????

What did you guys do with your ball joints. Did anyone have success with urethane ones. Relocated??? I don't quite trust cut down ones.

How are you preventing vibration. I hit over 120 alot of the time.

i think you mean stock rubber bumpers... not ball joints.

as far as the kit.. im not sure.. i dont own one yet.. please let me know how it goes for you.. i hope to get a kit in the near future... once i can figure out a way to make my hotchkis swaybars work with it.

I am waiting my lowering kit to come in the mail.  Should i buy new ball joints.  How do you cut down the stock ones????

What did you guys do with your ball joints.  Did anyone have success with urethane ones.  Relocated???  I don't quite trust cut down ones. 

How are you preventing vibration.  I hit over 120 alot of the time.

The only thing you have to do is cut off or grind down the excess treads on the stud after it is installed so it doesn't rub on the CV boot. you are NOT cutting the actual ball joint.

It has nothing to do with urethane or relocating, and it does not weaken or compromise the integrity of the original ball joints.

If you do a SEARCH on here there are pics of a McGaughy's install and it shows you what has to be done.

Or look here... http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=5277&hl=

Hey Rico750

By the looks of your truck in your signature, the truck sits even right? I'm getting mine done on Monday and just want to make sure it sits even and not lower in the rear than the front.

Thanks

Late- Alex

Cool, it's the first time someone has linked to one of my posts!!! I'm glad my pics may actually be helping someone.

Hey Chris...it helped me so I thought it would be beneficial to someone else...

As far as the bump stops go, I cut mine down so there was only 1 "ring" left. it still bottoms on some of the bigger bumps. I did notice the vibration at 70+ MPH. Did anyone come up with a cure for this yet?

ALex, when I did mine I used the holes in the rear to lower it 2" total. It would be the bottom holes on the hangers and the lower hole on the shackle.

I also lowered my front an additional 3/4" with the torsion bars.

I also had to lower the front a bit with the bars to get it level. My setup is the same as AUTOGUYS, I used the least amount of lowering on t he hanger and the shackles. I am using GroundForce bumpstops and which are a lot smaller than stock but the best bet is to cut the stock ones. I also have a small vibration above 70mph but h ave been too busy building our house to call McGaughy's for a solution. They did tell me I might have one because they didn't test the setup in the lwer hanger hole. I have a 2* shim that I may put it at sometime to see what it does. The kit is a great kit and I know I can solve the vibration thing if I just devote some time to it.

From what I understand the bump stop only provides a cushion against wacking the frame. I removed the bump stop holder. I am gonna order urethane from stylin this week.

No idea why anyone would cut down stock front bump stops.

Still very concerned about vibration.

Archived