Suspension Problem

eocampo

I just bought a used 2004 Chevy SS Truck (13,000 miles). I'm not sure if this is normal on all models but when I'm on a freeway with typical bumps on the road, the body of the truck seems to rattle abnormally. Although this rattling only happens at high-speeds, at times it can get very uncomfortable. Is there a problem with my suspension, or is this normal on all models? Can someone please provide some feedback.

Depends...

Is it like a bouncing sensation really fast? If it is then you're just experiencing normal truck hop on the freeway... tends to be worse in the faster lanes. Its a little worse in the SS b/c of the stiffer suspension and the weight of the 20's.

Happens on almost all truck b/c of the long wheelbase, the lack of weight in the rear, and the expansion joints in most major highways.

Heres the last thread I remeber seeing about this:

Bumpy Ride

BTW: welcome to the site, you'll love this truck! :cheers:

Thanks for the "thread" link. I think that was what I was looking for. As stated, it's only a ploblem on concrete freeways with surfaces that go slightly up and down every 10 or so feet. I can deal with it, but I was just wondering if that was typical and/or if there is something I can do to the suspension to make it better.

• 2 weeks later...

eocampo,

All the SS Trucks have that problem for the reasons stated by dylanvonkleist. What I did was add the Tonneau Cover which added weight, as well as Hotchkis Sway Bars with Bilstein Shocks. Rides extremely smooth and I no longer have the rear hopping and bouncing on rough roads or freeways. Truck handles like my Porsche now to go along with all the power. My friend who is a GM of a Chevy dealer in CA tells me it is the best riding and handling SS he has ever driven!

By the way does your SS have hood scoops? If so you may have bought my friends '04.

now i dont tow ANYTHING and the heaviest load ive ever had in the bed was a love seat that turned into a bed. i dont think i need the overload spring. how do i take it out? and what not...you know the usual questions

nick

• 4 weeks later...

i had those on my last truck, a 96 silverado ex-cab longbed, and loved them. the truck was also dropped 4" 6" with air bags in the rear. :thumbs: been thinking of changing the SSs shocks for some time now for the same reason.

I'm going to add the bed cover to see what that does. I was also thinking of removing the middle leaf spring in ther rear (the cheap way to go). Have any of you done this? I guess for a little more money I can add the Velvet Ride Shackles or even the Belltech Shocks. How much did you guys pay for those Belltech shocks.

Archived