Tuning ??

jmitch19

Ok I just got hptuners for my 2003 SS last week. My truck is totally stock right now ( mods are in the works). I've done a little playing arould with timing, rev limiter, trans, and a few other things. What I would like to know is what are people doing to see better gas mileage. I've read people saying 2-3 mpg with pcmforless. Once I have my mods in place I would like to have a tune for fun and a tune for mileage. Any help would be great thanks.

Jason

Ok I just got hptuners for my 2003 SS last week. My truck is totally stock right now ( mods are in the works). I've done a little playing arould with timing, rev limiter, trans, and a few other things. What I would like to know is what are people doing to see better gas mileage. I've read people saying 2-3 mpg with pcmforless. Once I have my mods in place I would like to have a tune for fun and a tune for mileage. Any help would be great thanks.

Jason

Welcome aboard, Jason. The mileage gains will depend a lot on how you like to drive. In a perfect world, tuning for the most power would mean the engine is operating at peak efficiency and thus giving the best mileage. In practice, a "mileage" tune would be a little less fun than a "performance" tune. Make sure to do your homework before getting too crazy with the tuning. A few degrees of timing in the cruise range can improve mileage, as can modified shift points. There is really no great advantage in having two tunes... after a while it will be a pain to switch back and forth. Just take your time and dial in the tune for your driving style.

:cheers:

Thanks for the advise. I am going to have my friend Chris White(High Performance Pontiac Contributing Editor & Speed Style and Sound Techincal Editor) give me a hand with tuning it. He is big in the Grand Prix L67 scene. If we come up with something good we will put it up on Horist.com.

Archived