408 cubic inch stroker kit

BigTex

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd need to have the ability to unhook all the wires and accessories from your current motor. Then you would start taking the motor apart and saving the parts. Once you get it to the block, you'd call up a local machine shop and have them bore it and clean it. Ideally this would be the same shop doing the build, to they would install the new bearings, check the measurements, and install the new parts. At this point, you take it back home, put all the little parts back on it and drop it back in the truck. You wouldn't need many special toolds, but you would have to rent or buy an engine hoist to lift it out of the truck.

Or is you have a few more bucks, youd take to truck to a shop and have them do the removal and replacement for you.

cokedrvrbjw - I'd look around for local speed shops. I'd check with other GM forums and see who the local guys are using for motor work. Specifically look for shops that are used to working with LS1 motors.

Personally, I'd just buy a used plain LQ4 6 liter motor. I've bought several between $500 and $1000 over the past couple of years. Have that motor bored out, cleaned up, and the new parts installed in it. Then its a quick removal and immediate reinstall. The benefits: no down time and you have a good LQ9 you can sell later. I sold a virgin LQ9 last year for over $2500. I'm sure a fair mile LQ9 in good running order will bring between $1500 - $2000.

Sorry, no forced induction planned. Its set to be between 10:1 and 11.x:1 compression depending on your head choice. I was planning nitrous and the Diamond pistons should take a solid 200 shot without blinking. My trans wouldn't hold, but the motor would. :)

Pulling these motors is exceptionally easy. Easier than putting on a Radix and that's easy. The only thing you need to do is make sure you label all the connections that come off of it. Don't forget to do it for ground cables also. :banghead:

I had mine out in about 4hrs or so, doing it completely by myself. Even with breaks getting on here. It is good to have someone to steer the motor once you start lifting though.

Only thing special is the lift. I borrowed my neighbors, but have seen them for $100 at tool clearance tents. Only other thing special, not really a tool, is a tapered end 2X4 to lay across your torsion bars to support your tranny when the engine comes out.

My builder disassembled the stock motor for me and included it in the $500 build cost.

If I was even thinking of doing this in the future, I'd grab this deal. Build it later. It's been my experience that good deals on expensive parts don't tend to last.

Sorry, no forced induction planned.  Its set to be between 10:1 and 11.x:1 compression depending on your head choice.  I was planning nitrous and the Diamond pistons should take a solid 200 shot without blinking.  My trans wouldn't hold, but the motor would. :)

With heads putting it at 10:1 cr, you would be able to run 8 or 9 lbs of boost wouldn't you?

I don't think 8psi would be a problem.  Probably could take a more boost with race gas when desired.  With the added displacement, its going to take a good amount of CFM to build 8psi.  That would be plenty powerful.

Would the vortech kit that I have work with the 408? Or would it need to be redesigned?

There is nothing physically different on the outside, so everything you have installed now will work fine. Expect to make less boost with the same size pulley because its going to take more air to fill the chambers. But also expect to make more power per PSI. So 8 PSI on a 408 will make alot more power than 12 PSI on a plain 6L.

Here is one similar config from LS1Tech:

This is a fully prepped setup with all the bolt ons and good heads. But its running 9.8:1 CR with 10 psi on a stroker. Its an ATI procharger F1.

2002 Pontiac Trans Am

822 RWHP 753 RWTQ @5800RPM

C5-R 427 ATI F1 10 lbs of Boost

O2 Sensors, 93 Oct Pump Gas

Stock Computer, LSX Intake, Stock MAF, LSX 90mm TB

"No Nitrous Needed", "No ALKY Needed"

http://www.perigee.net/~lunapark/pages/cardyno.html

There is nothing physically different on the outside, so everything you have installed now will work fine.  Expect to make less boost with the same size pulley because its going to take more air to fill the chambers.  But also expect to make more power per PSI.  So 8 PSI on a 408 will make alot more power than 12 PSI on a plain 6L. 

Here is one similar config from LS1Tech:

This is a fully prepped setup with all the bolt ons and good heads.  But its running 9.8:1 CR with 10 psi on a stroker.  Its  an ATI procharger F1.

2002 Pontiac Trans Am

822 RWHP 753 RWTQ @5800RPM

C5-R 427 ATI F1 10 lbs of Boost

O2 Sensors, 93 Oct Pump Gas

Stock Computer, LSX Intake, Stock MAF, LSX 90mm TB

"No Nitrous Needed", "No ALKY Needed"

How many lbs of boost would I see out of the stock pulley with the stroker kit?  Im Hitting 8lbs right now.  Im guessing with my mods im around 550 flwhp.  How much power do you think I would be getting with the stroker kit, stock heads and stock pulley?

http://www.perigee.net/~lunapark/pages/cardyno.html

How many lbs of boost would I see out of the stock pulley with the stroker kit?  Im Hitting 8lbs right now.  Im guessing with my mods im around 550 flwhp.  How much power do you think I would be getting with the stroker kit, stock heads and stock pulley?

I can't say. I don't know enough about your supercharger. But there is a very good chance your truck would make 550 FWHP without a supercharger on a 408. parish8 is running his 408 with stock heads. He recently said its stronger with 8psi than his 6L was with 15psi.

Archived